Need some help with tiling.

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
CSEBOLT
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Need some help with tiling.

Post by CSEBOLT »

I just made my first large piece that took 4 tiles to complete on my CNC. The project was not without issues that were solely related to locating the work piece properly on the spoil board when moving to another tile.
The closest I came was to place locating holes 1” in from the X and Y axis on all tiles.

tile.JPG
This did not work exactly as I had thought it would causing me to destroy the first attempt. The following attempts I used a combination of locating holes and scrap ¼“ material along with some tool paths that just barley cut the material. I could see where it was going to line up and adjust the work piece. This was a huge pain in the rear-end to say the least.
My thought is that there are subtle inconsistencies in the wood I used. If the leading edge I measured off of was not 100% square my locating holes could be off by 1/16 and now a 1/8 line would not line up.

There has to be a better way. Someone must be successful in tiling a tool path so it lines up.
I would love a “gadget” or an addition to the tiling tool path function in Aspire that would help to line up material.

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Re: Need some help with tiling.

Post by zeeway »

I presume you have four separate pieces of material. To ensure the holes are accurate to the edges, I would suggest having your machine cut the edges of each tile, and drilling the locating holes in that tile in the same clamping. You also need to make sure your machine is square between the x and y axes.

Angie

CSEBOLT
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by CSEBOLT »

I never considered that the CNC could be out of square.

I still would like to hear from others who have mastered this.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Have done it several times, never an issue. Worked perfect every time.

Doing things like this is all about having the material prepared properly. The ol' woodshop "a sixteenth is close enough" does not hack it.

A gadget is not going to fix improperly prepared material.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns