Tycho Crater

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
finkh
Model of CNC Machine: Romaxx WD-1

Tycho Crater

Post by finkh »

Tycho Crater produced from data gathered by Laser Altimeter onboard Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter.
1:500,000 scale, vertical exaggeration 4x.

2nd growth yellow pine salvaged from 3 x 12 joists removed from gut rehab of Manhattan sweatshop built in 1920's. 1/8" tapered ball-nose cutter from precise bits for finishing pass took about 90 minutes: a hundred passes to the inch for about 1000 passes.

This will be used on a thermoforming machine to make copies in .020 polystyrene and then painted in relief.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg

Zambrano
Model of CNC Machine: Home made CNC Router

Re: Tycho Crater

Post by Zambrano »

Do You have stl file?

Miguel

finkh

Post by finkh »

Yes. what would yoy like to do with it? I have a number of locations in preparation.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

By the way......GREAT JOB!! :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

Impressive!

That would make a great wall texture tile...

Mike

Vfxdaddy
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Swift

Post by Vfxdaddy »

Very nice!

I would also be interested in the .stl file. I like to play with my machine and learn while playing with it.

hannamand
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger w/recoil

Post by hannamand »

Very cool... Have you thought about doing a YouTube Video of how you create the files?

I've kicked around the idea of doing this for earth topography, For instance if a city wanted a relief map of their city limits to hang on the wall of city hall...

JDHTech
Model of CNC Machine: Blacktoe

Post by JDHTech »

As an amateur astronomer and CNC nutcase, I would also like to share in your data for personal use only.

rloncohen
Model of CNC Machine: romaxx

Post by rloncohen »

hi,
can you please tell me what process you when thought to obtain the data. it is a bit complicated! which mission, instrument, data set and any tips would be very appreciated.
sincerely,
richard cohen

finkh

Post by finkh »

https://finkh.wordpress.com/ is the site I use for astro stuff.

https://finkh.wordpress.com/3d-workflow/ has some instructions which may be a shade out of date; the PDS site changes regularly. You want to find a page with a Data Set Browser tab and then click it to get to LOLA.

For Mars and other worlds, the data is in .img format, which needs a GIS (Geographic Information System) to convert to a tiff file that Mathematica uses. I will tackle those this summer.

If you can live with equirectangular format and don't mind the lack of curvature, you can download .jp2 LDEM files (you will need a converter for photoshop but there are free ones available) and crop to get a grayscale that should open in aspire, after saving as a tiff or png. (both 16-bit) formats. (NASA doesn't seem to mind http://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/detail/moon-nearside-farside) Don't use jpeg as it is eight-bit.

rloncohen
Model of CNC Machine: romaxx

Post by rloncohen »

i sincerely thank you for the information.
rich