Looking for a new machine with rotary upgrade

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
SparksStudios
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy PRS-Alpha 48 w/12" Z

Looking for a new machine with rotary upgrade

Post by SparksStudios »

I've had a garage built 3-axis machine for years now. Looking to buy a commercial grade machine with an 4th axis.

It's currently between a Camaster Stinger model with indexer or an Shopbot with a 4th axis. (already dropped Legacy Artison off my list; they never responded to any of my emails.)

Can anyone tell me how easy or difficult it is to use the indexer on either one of those brands?

Thanks so much,
Taylor
ShopBot Buddy 48 w/12" Z + 8' Powerstick and Indexer
Aspire 11.55

dan nelson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster stinger III x3 with recoil lath

Re: Looking for a new machine with rotary upgrade

Post by dan nelson »

Ive owned both machines and like the camaster better, more robust and greater capacity on the indexer, I can go 8' in length if needed. Im not bashing the Bot just my opinion. please send a email direct for more insight if you wish. Dan Nelson nelsonwoodcrafters@yahoo.com

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I've used both Shopbots and CAMasters for 3-axis work and find them both to be good machines with outstanding support. I can talk about the Shopbot Indexer since I owned and ran one for a number of years. Note, since moving to California I've been without an indexer.

I worked on the initial indexer tutorial which is now hosted on Bill Shober's web site which shows my setup on some pages: ->Link

Here is a link to Shopbot's document for Indexer setup: ->Link

Setup:
The documentation was good setting it up. Phone support was helpful -- though we just needed it to make sure we were doing the right thing.
I'd recommend that you make a custom command for Z-zeroing relative to the center of the tailstock. We set it up so you could zero the bit off the top of the tailstock and it calculated the Z zero to the center. That makes using multiple bits on the same job much easier.

Operation:
The gadgets make Aspire very easy to use with an indexer.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

I have a CAMaster Stinger 3 with the rotary. I also teach a class for CAMaster on setting up the rotary and using it with Vectric software. It's a quality piece of equipment. Regardless of what machine you purchase, I'd look into the availability of training for the rotary functions, as they do work a bit differently from the operations you'll do on your table, and many of the manufacturers just sell the rotary attachment but don't really know how to use them.

I've been very happy with the CAMaster machine. I should also mention that I used to own a Legacy Artisan, and sold it to get my CAMaster. I've never regretted that change.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

SparksStudios
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy PRS-Alpha 48 w/12" Z

Post by SparksStudios »

Thanks for the advice, Everybody!

I went with a ShopBot Buddy. Small footprint but hugely flexible in the size of material it will cut! I can cut small projects on it's 2'x4' table, or with the addition of a 8' PowerStick, I can cut an entire standard 8'x4' Sheet! Really looking forward to it's arrival!

I couldn't go with a CAMaster because of the welded frame and the fact that I have limited access to my basement shop. They laughed when I asked if they had any alternatives to their welded tables.

Meanwhile, I need to move my old junker of a machine out of the way and make room for the shiny new upgrade!

-Taylor
ShopBot Buddy 48 w/12" Z + 8' Powerstick and Indexer
Aspire 11.55