3d mesh pitbull edge lit sign

The Gallery is for posting photographs and images of work machined using Cut2D
Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: 3d mesh pitbull edge lit sign

Post by Xxray »

For sure looks like stepover needs to be reduced, try around 10%.

When you use pocket or profile passes drag bit is not selectable, why I don't know I have asked and no one has answered, anyways it doesn't matter.
[You can select it only using quick engrave]. Just select the engrave tool, selecting vbit works as well, then check the defaults and see if anything needs tweaking.
I often use multiple pocket passes, not for depth but for a better, cleaner looking fill [you'll never get much in the way of depth with a drag bit]. Sometimes it will leave lines where it goes in another place then comes back, so you'll do 1 pass at 0 angle and another at 45 degree [combine the toolpaths so they run one after the other without intervention required on your part].
Doug

antennasDIY
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home made

Post by antennasDIY »

Thanks Xray that's great info. I will try your suggestions and see how it turns out. So far not too bad thought for day 1 and figuring out how it will work. I can see I am going to like it as the results look good already, so once I get it dialed in, it should be really good.

Thanks!

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

lbetancourt wrote:Hi, beautiful work. What software do you use to create the mesh vectors?
You can try here
http://www.embossify.com/
Cheers
Wolffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

One thing that is always instructive to try is to take a simple design, say a capital "A' in a font like times new roman, then try multiple things on a piece of scrap.
Select various vbits, engrave, stepovers, angles and do half a dozen A's, of course keeping track which settings were used for each one. One may very well look better than the rest.
Also a time saver, in material setup the Z clearance is defaulted up t .25", changing it to .12 can save considerable time on projects with lots of z movement.
One I did recently took 3 hours with .25 clearance, and 2.5 hours with .12.
Doug

creek
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD 2.0

Post by creek »

New to forum and just now reading some your older post. Where do you get the acrylic (plexiglass)? What sizes do you order. The mesh work is great. I have never used ebay does that work well for ordering the LED lights and the acrylic? Everything I saw was clear acrylic have you tried any of the colors in acrylic may blue, green, red, etc.
Thanks
creek
creek
Rocky Face, Ga

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

I get my plexi local, look around there may be a shop near you.
If not, many folks order here
http://www.estreetplastics.com/Plexigla ... r_s/21.htm

I believe there are sources to everything already posted in this thread, including LED's.

As far as tinted plexi, that would not be ideal for edge lighting. The tint would inhibit if not block light transmission ,,, And in any case, the RGB lights will make the plexi any color you like when you use clear. If you used, say, green, it would always been greenish no matter what color LED you chose.
Unless you have a special project in mind, stay away from any tints would be my advise. The only other material I use for edge lighting besides clear is mirrored.
Doug

creek
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD 2.0

Post by creek »

thanks did go to estreetplastics they have almost any size or thickness you may want. Now need to find your recommendation on ebay for the LED lights.
Once again thanks for taking your time to reply.
creek
Rocky Face, Ga

scottart
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro HD and CNCrouterparts 4896

Post by scottart »

What program is designing these 2 d mesh? very nice works

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

I pulled the images from the net and used vector magic to create the vectors.
Tough to find suitable subjects
Doug

hadron1
Model of CNC Machine: stinger 1

Post by hadron1 »

Hi Doug:)
I`ve been silently following your posts for edge lid acrylic signs for quite some time and i do agree they are fun to make.The only downside i have found so far is the copyright issues with the graphic images i would like to use for my work.It is not so easy to find good looking commercial free images on the net.Vectorizing is easy but still same problem.Don`t want to go into a shady areas so i`ve been designing my own for quite some time.Takes a lot of time to create smth from scratch in illustrator for example.How do you get around this problem?Most of the mesh images i have found are outrageously expensive to own...

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

I guess I use common sense and discretion.
I like many others have done Harley logos and sports ect and don't feel guilty about it. On the other hand I'm not going to go in mass production with them or post the files on sites like this. If someone takes the time to post a watermark on their work and/or specifically states they do not want it being used, I will honor that.
Alot of companies and folks like to see their logos and work out there and are not anal about it, some are.
If you are just making one offs or a unique gift to a special person I personally would not worry about it. If you are planning on cranking out a few and selling them any way you can, that may be a different matter.
Copyright issues are almost always acrimonious here and other forums like this, I tend to avoid them.
Doug

tonydude919
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: cnc mako shark ext bed with HD 5 gantry

Post by tonydude919 »

You have to be careful posting on facebook about harley. There was a couple guys that got a warning from harley to take down the carving of harley posted on there. A guy was making a bed with a Harley logo and they seen it and told him to not make anymore or they would make him pay a fine. So be careful what you post.

Tony
What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave

Xxray
Vectric Wizard

Post by Xxray »

Harley tends to be notoriously anal, which is their perfect right. Merchandise sales is probably a decent chunk of their income.

Luckily for me I don't have to worry about facebook anything, not a member nor shall I ever be.

I remember reading something about an artistic license fair use or something like that, where the premise is is if something is made that is unique and not mass produced it can be made without regards to copyright restrictions, wish I would have saved that cause I've looked and can't find it anywhere.
Doug

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

I have been trying to find something like your pitbull, not necessarily a pitbull though, without success.
What did/do you type in to find it?
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6