Wrapped job set up question.

Topics related to wrapped rotary machining in Aspire or VCarve Pro
ozymax
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built cnc router using Masso G3.

Wrapped job set up question.

Post by ozymax »

I have designed a spiral table leg that has a square top to it.
The timber stock is square as well and is just over size to allow me to cut the shape I need.
I've generated the toolpaths for the job and they are quite long, time wise.
Upon inspecting the toolpath simulation, I see that there are many cuts that are going to be in thin air.
The wrapped job setup doesn't allow for a square blank to be accounted for that I can see.
Is there a way to limit the wasted cutting moves?
I've posted a screen shot of my problem.
Thanks.
Image2.jpg

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Wrapped job set up question.

Post by Rcnewcomb »

The wrapped job setup doesn't allow for a square blank to be accounted for that I can see.
The wrapped job assumes a round blank, except for the rounding gadget that assumes a square blank that it will machine into a round blank.

One approach is to handle each face of the square blank as a standard XYZ job and then rotate the material using the indexer until you've machined all 4 faces. The rest of the material you would machine as a standard wrapped job.

Another approach is to create a square blank model in a full 3D CAD program. Import and unwrap that model into Aspire so it can wrap it around the blank, but you would still see some air cutting with this method.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: Wrapped job set up question.

Post by dealguy11 »

Is the air cutting being generated by the rounding toolpath? If so, then one easy fix is to set the zero point for the long axis in the machine controller to where the rounding should actually start, and reduce the length of your part by that amount. So, for example, if your square area should be 4 inches long, and the long axis on your machine is Y, then go to Y0, move the axis 4 inches, and reset Y0 to the new point. Reduce the length of your leg by 4 inches.

For the air cutting on the part past the square area, the "Optimized Raster" option in the rounding toolpath is supposed to address this problem. It does require that you set up your part on the rotary in the right orientation so it cuts off the corners.

Other thoughts to reduce machining time are to use the largest bits possible for all operations. For example, for rounding I use a 1.25" surface cutting bit. For long curves and any coves where they will fit I use core box cutting bits from 1" to 1.5" in diameter. Only use your small bits to clean up corners and to carve areas where the big bits won't fit.

I can't tell from your picture how you're cutting the spirals, but if you're carving them with 3d toolpaths, and they're regular spirals, then that's kind of a waste of time. The can be cut much faster, and with a better finish, using cutters specific to cutting spirals...they're called barley twist and rope twist cutters, and you can buy them from Magnate. Then you can use the Spiral Layout and 2d toolpaths to cut the spirals. The main limitation is that the spirals will have to start no less than 1/2 the cutter diameter from the square ends. Most people hide this transition with a cove.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost