Engraving

This forum is for users to post tips and tricks they have found useful while working with VCarve Pro
knowlzy0791
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: PAE 110SD Series/Mach3 Software

Engraving

Post by knowlzy0791 »

Cannot seem to navigate to the "steel" section of Onsrud's bits. Can someone suggest a good steel engraving bit?

Not doing anything fancy. Just simple names and numbers about .03-.05 deep. Perhaps even an end mill would work and be quicker?

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Engraving

Post by FixitMike »

I would suggest a diamond drag tool for engraving. I bought mine on E-Bay for $65.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

knowlzy0791
Vectric Craftsman

Post by knowlzy0791 »

Would I need an entire new collet for something like this?

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Post by ChrisInEstes »

knowlzy0791 wrote:Would I need an entire new collet for something like this?
It depends on your collet. I have 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", & 1/2" collets for my spindle.

I bought the 3/8" collet version of this drag bit off ebay. It came recommended to me from Xxray here on the forums.

eBay link to 1/4" collet Diamond Drag Bit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-DIA-DIAMOND ... 3f42057525

Do an eBay search for Diamond Drag Bits... There are others.

Chris
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle

knowlzy0791
Vectric Craftsman

Post by knowlzy0791 »

ChrisInEstes wrote:
knowlzy0791 wrote:Would I need an entire new collet for something like this?
It depends on your collet. I have 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", & 1/2" collets for my spindle.

I bought the 3/8" collet version of this drag bit off ebay. It came recommended to me from Xxray here on the forums.

eBay link to 1/4" collet Diamond Drag Bit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-DIA-DIAMOND ... 3f42057525

Do an eBay search for Diamond Drag Bits... There are others.

Chris
I was looking at that one. I have a 1/4" collet right now. All my end mills are 1/4" in diameter. Wasn't sure if a new collet was needed because of the "spring-loaded" part.

Thanks for the help!

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuild / VCP 8.0

Post by glenninvb »

knowlzy,

.030 - .050 is deep for a diamond drag, I've used regular half-round carbide on coated steel award plaque material but only .005- .010 deep (single pass @ 100ipm)
Coolant prolongs life, but can cut dry (my feed rates, much higher than recommended ) @15000 rpm

Do you need to cut that deep?
For light engraving the diamond would probably be the best choice as its spring loaded and should last a long time

http://www.2linc.com/engraving_assistan ... speeds.htm
http://www.2linc.com/engraving_tools_tough_tip.htm

knowlzy0791
Vectric Craftsman

Post by knowlzy0791 »

There is no "regulation" on how deep it needs to be. So long as it is easily visible and readable. Never messed with this before so I do not know how well any of the depths will be visible?

glenninvb wrote:knowlzy,

.030 - .050 is deep for a diamond drag, I've used regular half-round carbide on coated steel award plaque material but only .005- .010 deep (single pass @ 100ipm)
Coolant prolongs life, but can cut dry (my feed rates, much higher than recommended ) @15000 rpm

For light engraving the diamond would probably be the best choice as its spring loaded and should last a long time

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

Post by ChrisInEstes »

Whatever type of tooling you end up trying, make sure you run practice pieces so you don't end up ruining your "real" piece.

Chris
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard

Post by glenninvb »

knowlzy0791 wrote:There is no "regulation" on how deep it needs to be. So long as it is easily visible and readable. Never messed with this before so I do not know how well any of the depths will be visible?

glenninvb wrote:knowlzy,

I'm not sure how deep a dia/drag cuts in steel? guessing .002-.003 @ moderate pressure. I'm sure someone else can answer
there was a recent topic on engraving lighters, and you can fill the text for more visability

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard

Post by glenninvb »

Oh, and to elaborate, the painted steel plaque material I mentioned was bought on EBay as painted brass engraving stock, turns out it was painted- brass plated steel laser stock :( I didn't use, but the conical carbide bit cut it nice........... Knew it was too cheap

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

When I worked at a large very well known medical device manufacturer we engraved all the 17-4PH stainless steel parts with a 1/32 ball end mill. Spindle RPM 15,000 and a feedrate of 5 IPM. DOC=.005 We engraved miles and miles of text that way.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

knowlzy0791
Vectric Craftsman

Post by knowlzy0791 »

Leo wrote:When I worked at a large very well known medical device manufacturer we engraved all the 17-4PH stainless steel parts with a 1/32 ball end mill. Spindle RPM 15,000 and a feedrate of 5 IPM. DOC=.005 We engraved miles and miles of text that way.
Thanks! I will probably go this route then, I'm used to end mills.

olf20
Vectric Wizard

Post by olf20 »

I done some of my best engraving with 90 and 120 degree
v bits. I don't remember the sizes but they had 1/4 shanks.

olf20 / Bob
Heat with corn, Mach3, Bridgeport clone, VcarvePo, Photo VCarve, Craftsman Wood Lathe, Arduino Toys

Barrya
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD

Post by Barrya »

THe touch plate does not see the diamond tip, how is the proper way to set zero z with either a diamond drag bit or a spring loaded diamond drag bit?

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Post by Mobius »

Barrya wrote:THe touch plate does not see the diamond tip, how is the proper way to set zero z with either a diamond drag bit or a spring loaded diamond drag bit?
I manually zero mine. Bring it down until it makes contact with the top of the material and zero it out.
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca