Router Spindle wearing out too fast

basil135
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD Pro Plus

Re: Router Spindle wearing out too fast

Post by basil135 »

Likewise, many thanks.

At least I can feel confident in the solution now.

Cheers.

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

As Wolfie said, the spindle is quieter 'when it isn't cutting'; when my router isn't cutting it is off.
I'm using a Porter Cable, since 2007, lots of hours, sometimes more than 24 hours without a break, no problems.
I opted for the router because I can buy 10 of them for the price of a spindle, and I am not cutting for sale items.

While cutting, with either the spindle or the router you need ear protection.

Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I have a calibrated decibel meter and I've just used it measure my spindle which is currently cutting 3/4" MDF in a single pass at 13k rpm with a 1/4" spiral cutter at 6ips.

It measured 75 decibels while cutting and 60 decibels on rapid moves from two feet away. 75 decibels is only just louder than a normal conversation and a lot quieter than sitting inside a normal car.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Have to agree with Adrian on this one Dale, Granted I only have a 1hp spindle and no decibel meter, but just gave a demo 2 weeks ago and we talked normally for 2.5 hours and the Fein was the noisiest thing in the shop and that's 69 decibels at the highest setting I believe(and I rarely run it full blast). Dad/bookkeeper and I regularly hold multi hour business meetings in the shop and talk pretty normally as the machine cuts and even my cat comes into shop and sleeps 8" away. :)
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Very similar to Scott, regularly have conversations with people while leaning against the CNC, no raised voices or trouble hearing people, I've got a border collie who hates loud noises, she barks at the wall saw & the chop saws, the sand blast cabinet if the air compressor is running but she will quite happily lie next to the CNC while it is cutting & go to sleep.

dhellew2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan 72 and AVID CNC Rotary

Post by dhellew2 »

Perhaps it's just me, but I, at 72, still don't like loud noise. I wear ear protection running nearly every machine in the shop anyway. Dale
You will get old if you live long enough!
Young = time, no money
Old = money, no time
Dale

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Nothing wrong with wanting to preserve your hearing Dale & noise will affect different people in different ways anyway, personally I spent 20 years in the Royal Navy as an engineer so working around running machinery is something I lived with 24/7, even the bunk spaces were built over & around machinery compartments so there was little escaping it lol

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

I never run any new variable speed router at the max speed these days. Many don't have bearings designed to run at the max speed the router can run. On a router that has 1-6 speed settings I'll set it at 5 max for example. and so far I haven't had a router fail. My personal CNCs don't see much continuous use but the two I oversee at the university shop I teach in will run with just small breaks between projects all day some days.

basil135

Post by basil135 »

Hi guys,

Well, I purchased a 1.5kw spindle, complete with controller & water pump.

When it finally arrived, I eagerly unpacked it all, only to find there were a few things not included. Little things like collet spanners etc. No big deal, and easy to sort.

However, there was also no cabling either for the controller nor the spindle. The instructions that are included are very limited, and only relate to the controller. I can sort the mains input, and have found the output side, however I cannot find anything to tell me how to wire into the spindle itself.

The spindle has a 4 pin plug & socket arrangement, which has a key-way, so it can only be inserted in one direction. What I can't figure out thou, is what connections are what, without pulling the spindle apart.

I have contacted the seller, and am awaiting a reply.

In the meantime, if anyone has some suggestions as to the wiring, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

ozymax
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built cnc router using Masso G3.

Post by ozymax »

basil135 wrote: In the meantime, if anyone has some suggestions as to the wiring, it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Hey basil135.
I might be able to help you out.
I have the .8kw water cooled spindle and VFD on my home made router.
I am running Mach3 as my control software, but have decided to keep all my spindle controls manual, so I can't help you with the Shark specific program if that's what you want.
I have made some modifications to the VFD, such as installing a variable speed control, a spindle on/off switch and disabled the reverse spindle function.
I can take some wiring pics and send them to you if that will clear things up.
I'm in Australia, so at least we are talking the same wiring code etc.

The PM function of this forum doesn't work, so if you want to contact me you'll need to post up your email address and I'll get in contact with you that way.
Happy to help.
Colin.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Have a read through this, should help you. Remember you will need shielded cable for the spindle.

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/5814-The ... dvice-More

basil135

Post by basil135 »

Thanks Colin & Martin.

Once I had a second cup of coffee, things started to fall into place. :shock:

The next challenge, is to actually mount the spindle to the carriage. The mounting clamp is too wide for the mounting plate to screw into comfortably.

My thought at this point, is to have a piece of aluminum machined up to suit the z axis carriage, to then bolt the spindle mount to.

Just wondering what others have done to mount the spindle, especially considering the weight of it.

Many thanks for all the help & advice.

Cheers,

Nigel

email: basilr@bigpond.net.au

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Think others have fitted spindles to shark machines so better placed to advise you but I had to replace the original mounting plate/bracket on my machine. machined & fitted a 20mm cast aluminium plate for the backing plate, no one seemed to be selling spindle mounts at the time but I managed to find a thread on that website where someone had used a large Linear rail support block (unsupported round rail) with the bearing & seals removed & a slot cut in one side.

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

When I used the big router for my Shark, I simply cut a new mount the fitted the router.
With the Kress router, I have made a new mount to fit the bottom part, then secured it with a hose clamp further up. I plan on cutting another clamp to replace the hose clamp though.
Nothing much left of my Shark, it is all replaced by aluminium parts.
This meant I could remove the "wings" and the bottom support bracket with the big hole and screw the new one directly to the back plate.
I am in FNQ "Go the Maroons" :D
Cheers
Wolffie
Just to explain why the Bosch router supplied burnt out too fast. This router is only available in Australia with a fixed speed and the clamp supplied by NWA for the Bosch does not fit. The housing of the single speed Bosch is smaller than the multispeed one.
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

colinking
Model of CNC Machine: Ox cnc/ LaserPro C180II 40W HL-1060 100W

Post by colinking »

Replaced my DeWalt router with a 2.2Kw water cooled spindle. Bought from Amazon as a kit with invertor (Chinese) water pump, set of 14 ER20 collets and water tubing. Impressed with the quiet running and no dust blowing from the job. Have had no problem with interference. Cable to spindle is screened, grounded at one end and a Schaffner RFI filter fitted to the invertor mains input.