space shuttle

The Gallery is for posting photographs and images of work machined using Cut2D
cdrd03
Model of CNC Machine: DIY Wooden Router

space shuttle

Post by cdrd03 »

I have had Cut2d for some time and due to my machine being a table top I was limited to small projects (small signs and puzzles). I recently finished a larger machine and have been having fun learning its limitations (as well as mine). Well my daughter is a band director here in Indiana. She asked me to make her an 8 foot space shuttle. The limitation that I was given was that it had to be sturdy because it was going to be pulled across the football field during their performance, but it also had to be as light as possible. The other limitation given was that it had to be able to be taken apart and put into a trailer with the other props, instruments, and uniforms that have to be transported between competitions.

The center and nose have a mdf skeleton and is wrapped in felt and fiberglass. The tail section is laminated foam board with 2 half inch rods through its center. These rods slide into 2 receivers in the center skeleton section. The wings are 3 1 inch laminated foam boards with a 3/8 plywood backer. This is mounted to 1/4 plate mounted between the mdf sections in the skeleton. I should have used smaller plate, but 1/4 is what I had on hand.

Overall it was a fun and challenging project. I had to teach myself how to fiberglass, which will come in handy which another project that I have planned for the spring. My daughter and the kids were really excited when they received the shuttle. They did the final detail painting on it and I have not received photos of it yet.

Chuck
Attachments
Center Section 1.png
Skeleton.png
One of these Plates are between each section and there <br />are 4 hole drilled (2 for each wing) and tapped for a <br />3/8s bolt.
One of these Plates are between each section and there
are 4 hole drilled (2 for each wing) and tapped for a
3/8s bolt.
Dry fit before shaping the wings
Dry fit before shaping the wings
This is where I really started learning what not to do with fiberglass. <br />Then I had to remind myself that if you cant see it from 50 yards away<br />it should be ok.
This is where I really started learning what not to do with fiberglass.
Then I had to remind myself that if you cant see it from 50 yards away
it should be ok.
The finished product before the kids put there stamp on it
The finished product before the kids put there stamp on it

pops1964
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot buddy bt 32

Re: space shuttle

Post by pops1964 »

Very cool.
POPS1964
SHOPBOT Buddy BT-32