Persistent Aspire problem. (Is it just me!?)

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: Persistent Aspire problem. (Is it just me!?)

Post by dealguy11 »

Reply to dmthompson - if it shows up in the preview, it's going to show up in the carving. Aspire's preview is very much "what you see is what you get" and is surprisingly accurate. To me, that's one of the best things about the Vectric products - it's easy to see and fix problems before you cut.

The issue isn't screen resolution, it's modeling resolution, which is a different thing. The internal data model for Aspire is pixel based. The number of pixels in a model (regardless of size) is determined by modeling resolution in the Job Setup panel. Your screen resolution has nothing to do with the number of pixels in your model. Please see this Vectric faq: http://support.vectric.com/aspire-quest ... look-rough. There used to be a detailed description of the Aspire data model somewhere on the Vectric site, but I can't seem to locate it.

Vectric's standard answer to this issue is to increase modeling resolution, which makes the pixels smaller and helps make the jagginess less noticeable, but doesn't eliminate it. Nothing wrong with this, but if you want to go further, then the strategies discussed already can be used (i.e., adding draft, making sure you have a zero plane, and using 2d toolpaths [which are not pixel-based] to shave off the jaggies)
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

zdjg02
Model of CNC Machine: CNC-Step

Post by zdjg02 »

LonePine,

Is this the seminar you were referring to?

http://www.technocnc.com/training/CNC-101.htm

It seems that a copy of the presentation is too large to attach, but it can be downloaded by clicking on the "View Presentation" link under the "Creating a Smarter Toolpath" heading.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

That's pretty cool. It's sort of like rest machining, but not exactly. Will add that to the arsenal!
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

LonePine
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna Tools IQ pro

Post by LonePine »

Hey zdjg02,

That wasn't the work shop, but yes this was the idea they showed.

sawmiller
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: joe's rack and pinion hybrid

Post by sawmiller »

This is what your talking about with Jamie?
http://www.fromaspiretobeyond.blogspot. ... t%20repair
woodmizer sawmill and joe's hybrid cnc, a good combination
In the heart of Tn

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

The document Steve (dealguy) was referring to that has detailed information about the model structure in Aspire can be downloaded from this FAQ topic: http://support.vectric.com/aspire-quest ... resolution

Pixel based models are what gives us the flexibility to create the variety of shapes its possible to model and machine with Aspire, unfortunately one of the trade-off's is when a vertical edge is translated into the grid of points that represent the 3D shape. As has been discussed in this thread avoiding verticals edges where possible is ideal - instead try using 2D profile toolpaths. Where its not possible to do that then use the highest appropriate resolution (see document link above) and mitigate their effect with steep angled edges instead of a true vertical. Smoothing etc. can also help but for me is a last resort as it will have an effect on the overall quality.

Thanks,
James

seabreezr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark

Post by seabreezr »

What does this mean if your cutting out a profile? 3D or not and you see those rigged edges in certain areas? Seems like this happens to me im thinking usually top of work when profiling and than it damages it. Any help thank you all
:D

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Post by rscrawford »

seabreezr wrote:What does this mean if your cutting out a profile? 3D or not and you see those rigged edges in certain areas? Seems like this happens to me im thinking usually top of work when profiling and than it damages it. Any help thank you all
:D
The pixelation is only with 3D models, not with 2D vectors. So if you cut the vertical surfaces using a profile toolpath rather than a 3D toolpath, you will get nice, smooth vertical surfaces. Remember, you can project a profile cut onto the model which is very useful in creating smooth vertical surfaces on the model.

If you want to get away from the voxel based 3D (and give up a lot of the modelling options available in Aspire), you will need to go with a 3D program like Rhino that uses NURBS (non-uniform rational b-splines), which is basically a mathematical representations of 3D shapes. But you need to remain in Rhino with a plug-in CAM program to toolpath - if you import the model into Aspire, it converts it to voxels.
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com