Diamond drag

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
atripp
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Exxact, Anderson Exxact Duo TC2

Diamond drag

Post by atripp »

Ok, after a year of having this tool, finally getting around to trying it. I set up the parameters based on the information provided in the tool database, but when I go to select it to apply to my vectors, it will not allow me to select the diamond drag tool. If I double click on the tool it says "Tool Data invalid" Anybody know why?
Andy Tripp
http://www.componentsbydesign.com

atripp
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Exxact, Anderson Exxact Duo TC2

Re: Diamond drag

Post by atripp »

Just found my answer - I have to use the quick engrave toolpath. When all else fails, go to the manual :roll:
Andy Tripp
http://www.componentsbydesign.com

mikeacg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger, Sidewinder, SB 4x4

Post by mikeacg »

Andy,

Keep trying! I am learning from your mistakes!! Ha ha ha! I'd love to see what you are doing with it.

I'm feeling a little better about not using my drag yet (I ordered it for Christmas and it is still sitting on top of my computer)...

Mike :lol:

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

I tried a stab at this question some time back, no one in a position to know wants to take a stab at it
http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... 78#p134478

Not a fan of quick engrave, I like pockets much better .. So since the drag bit is not selectable, I just chose vbit or engrave tool.
Doug

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Xxray wrote:I tried a stab at this question some time back, no one in a position to know wants to take a stab at it
http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... 78#p134478

Not a fan of quick engrave, I like pockets much better .. So since the drag bit is not selectable, I just chose vbit or engrave tool.
So you create a pocket using a vbit or engrave tool that are selectable but put the diamond drag bit in the machine to do the job? Is that right Xxray, have you got a tool already set up in the database or do you just select the parameters for each different job?
Is your spindle controlled separately or do you have to set the speed to zero or stop it starting some how?

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuild / VCP 8.0

Post by glenninvb »

Xxray,

I know you've mentioned you don't like the quick engrave tool but I don't recall why?
You have done more acrylic pieces to date than I probably ever will, so I appreciate your input.

I personally like the feature for engraving.
It engraves what's drawn including line segments, open and duplicate vectors, single line font
Like the fill features for text with out-line or fill, off-set or hatch, hatch angle and step-over control for either a clean pocket or a scribe effect.
All in one little box!

Would love to hear your reasons.

Thanks,
Glenn

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

Martin, when making pockets with a drag bit I chose engrave tool. Usually defaults are fine, though lately I have been using a 45 angle for lettering, seems to fill better. Best thing to do is chose a simple subject, like a large letter B. On some scrap try etching using the drag bit at as an engrave tool then vbit
Try raster/offset, 0 angle and 45 ,,, Then a quick engrave. Making sure to keep track which is which, you'll have 7 or so samples to pick which is best.
I use a router, so no input on start commands.

Glen, I have had poor results from the few times I have used quick engrave, so stopped experimenting as my results with pockets are fine.
A case of "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it" I guess. I tried it just to see if being able to use the drag bit in tool selection would yield superior results, it didn't.
I found that quick engrave left unfilled areas and lines ,,, Not much visually, but when light is applied they really stand out. Perhaps settings can be tinkered with to reduce or eliminate these, but since I am getting perfect results with the pockets I don't see the need. But if your results are satisfactory that speaks for itself, and likewise maybe you don't have the need to experiment either.
When I have open vectors or duplicates, I close them and get rid of duplicates. When I want outline letters instead of fill I simply use profile. So I guess a large part of it is what one gets used to within the software ,,, And there really isn't a need to experiment with other methods so long as you are getting good results, and so long as you are convinced that is the best that can be done.
Doug