Materials to use

Roy Esslinger
Model of CNC Machine: home built

Materials to use

Post by Roy Esslinger »

I would like to know where to find some kind of material to make signs. I saw some one time that was .75 thick and painted red on the outside and when you carved into it the inner core was white. it was very heavy like MDF I think it was about 300.00 per sheet for a 4x8 sheet but I don't remember where I saw it. Hope you guys can direct me. Roy

Charlie_l
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger II

Re: Materials to use

Post by Charlie_l »

I think you are referring to King ColorCore plastic which is a high-density polyethylene laminate. Has outer layers of about 0.050 thick color on both sides, then also an interior color. Cuts easy and not much finish required. Cut the first side from the large sheet, then cut lettering on individual signs for second side. Just ordered a couple more 4 by 8 sheets at 200+ each.
Charlie
Aspire, CAMaster Stinger II

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Roy,

There is a VAST array of materials and supplies out there.

The best way is for you to goggle search the stuff you are looking for.

Try searching on "sign supplies" or "Laminated plastic sheets" ---- "romark" (is a brand name for laminated plastics).

"sign materials"

You "might" be able to find supplies in www.McMaster.com

As you start to see some of the stuff that suits your fancy - remember the terminology - then refine your searches on the terminology.

THEN - look for local sources.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Register with a signmaking forum & ask on there. Might well be that the material you are looking for is not the best option for your project. If that's the case then they can point you in the right direction as far as materials & suppliers go.

GeneMpls
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: PRS Buddy48alpha ,4x6' 130w laser, Wazer

Post by GeneMpls »

I believe it is Rowmark Leo.

Roy Esslinger
Model of CNC Machine: home built

Post by Roy Esslinger »

thanks for all the info

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Dont know about your side of the pond but over here all Rowmark distribute are engraving supplies & none of their boards would be as thick as asked for.
Try uksignboards.com if you want a friendly sign forum, in the uk but have members all round the world. Try a search for aluminium composite (acm) they have an aluminium skin & foam plastic core, come in a range of colours. The core always use to be black but some manufacturers are now using different colour cores.