Latest Stools

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Re: Latest Stools

Post by rscrawford »

Thanks Angie and Bob.

Bob, the reason I changed systems was because I had several jigs and it was becoming a pain to switch them. My system for indexing the jigs to the table wasn't perfect, and it took about 15-20 minutes to change jigs. Now they are perfectly indexed every time I place them on the aluminum plenum, and I can change jigs in about 10 seconds.
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

todd_aust
Model of CNC Machine: custom

Post by todd_aust »

I'm interested if anyone has attempted to machine models like Russell's stool legs on a rotary axis machine. I have effectively a 4 axis machine so can run the x,y,z and a axis's simultaneously and have used the rotary to do some simple legs that have some square profile and some round (say similar to a column). Usually as I'm naturally lazy I do these with a completely unprepared (rough sawn) piece of timber and get the cnc to face the square sections (ie, pocket/surface, rotate 90 degrees - repeat 3 more times) and then do any of the rounded sections with the Y axis=0 and the A axis doing the 'work'.

This is fine for simple (round and square) type things (and even then requires manual g code editing of aspire output) however for what I'd call a complex shape (3d splined surface, where using all 4 axis at the same time would be an advantage) I'm at a loss on where to start. Has anyone done this sort of thing with manual hacking of aspire output or with modelling software exported into aspire?

cheers,
todd.

SIBUD
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot 18X24 Desktop

Post by SIBUD »

Wow!

I stand in awe of your workmanship. The CNC table and vacuum jig system is outstanding.

Fantastic work.

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Post by esteeme1 »

Here here!!!! I love your chairs but am very interested in the vacuum system. Can you start another thread? Very professional Russ, keep it up.
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard

Post by rscrawford »

todd_aust wrote:I'm interested if anyone has attempted to machine models like Russell's stool legs on a rotary axis machine. I have effectively a 4 axis machine so can run the x,y,z and a axis's simultaneously and have used the rotary to do some simple legs that have some square profile and some round (say similar to a column). Usually as I'm naturally lazy I do these with a completely unprepared (rough sawn) piece of timber and get the cnc to face the square sections (ie, pocket/surface, rotate 90 degrees - repeat 3 more times) and then do any of the rounded sections with the Y axis=0 and the A axis doing the 'work'.

This is fine for simple (round and square) type things (and even then requires manual g code editing of aspire output) however for what I'd call a complex shape (3d splined surface, where using all 4 axis at the same time would be an advantage) I'm at a loss on where to start. Has anyone done this sort of thing with manual hacking of aspire output or with modelling software exported into aspire?

cheers,
todd.
I tried to unwrap the legs and do them on my 4th axis, but I couldn't get good enough accuracy. Maybe if I had more experience unwrapping. I find it faster to cut 4 legs at a time with my jig anyway (just over 20 minutes per side for 4).

Jim, I have a thread on CAMheads explaining my aluminum plenum system, but I could start a thread here if people want. It is VERY handy! I can place any of my jigs on there and it is perfectly positioned every time, and I can change it over in a couple seconds. I have a venturi vacuum source with a MAC valve connected to a pressure switch, so it turns on and off, maintaining pressure between 20-25"hg. Probably cycles on for 1-2 seconds every 10 seconds. I'm going to set up an old propane tank as a vacuum reserve so it won't cycle on and off as much.
Russell Crawford

esteeme1
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cobra 404 ATC; ROMAX WD-1; Shark

Post by esteeme1 »

Russ I figured you had posted something on the CaMaster site I just didn't see it. What topic did you put it under? The pump and vacuum system sounds pretty complicated.
Jim Darlas
"Can Do!"
http://www.esteemedwoodcrafts.com/
http://www.esteemedplaques.com/

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard

Post by rscrawford »

The vacuum system is very simple. I got it from joewoodworker.com. You just hook your compressed air to one side of the MAC valve, and the Venturi to the other. Then a vacuum line goes from the Venturi to the aluminum plenum (I drilled and tapped a 1/4" NPT threads to screw in a nipple for the vacuum hose). I put a 'T' on the vacuum line to connect the pressure sensor. This sensor powers the MAC valve to open it when the pressure drops below 20"hg and closes it when it gets up to 25".

An old refrigerator compressor would be free and work as a pretty good vacuum source. You don't need much flow.

I made it a little more complex by running the power to the pressure sensor through a relay in my cobra control panel. This allows me to turn the vacuum on and off with g-code, so I don't have to remember to turn it on before cutting.
Russell Crawford

jtedesco
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger

Post by jtedesco »

Russell, I love your chairs and stools, real nice work! You've inspired me to give it a try. I've been spending countless hours in Aspire trying to model the seat and Maloof style locking joint. With the help of your informative posts, I'm getting real close... I just have to work out a few issues I am having. It's much more complicated then I thought it would be. Check out my progress so far.

-Joe
Attachments
Capture.JPG

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard

Post by rscrawford »

Getting there! Here is a picture of the stool leg in Aspire to give you some more hints. I don't model the dados in the joint, I just cut them in with a pocket cut. I model the legs on their side, and cut them 2 sided, then cut the front dado on the table saw with a jig and a dado blade. This way the dados that show are cut on the CNC, and the hidden dado is cut on the table saw.
stool leg model 1.jpg
stool leg model 2.jpg
stool leg model 3.jpg
Here is a nice picture of one of my latest stools
DSC_2997.JPG
DSC_2993.JPG
Russell Crawford

jtedesco

Post by jtedesco »

Ahh...Thanks for the tips, Russell. I really struggled with modeling the dado on the joint, only to realize that it would not give me crisp inside corners. I resolved the issue by doing a pocket toolpath to square up the edges. But your suggestion seems like an even better idea. I agree with you, I'd like to only do 3d maching when necessary to avoid long run times. In any event...I'm learning a lot about 3D modeling in Aspire :D I'll give it another go using your suggestions. Thanks again.

-Joe

gordread
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Professor HDX

Post by gordread »

Russel, thank you so much for all of the pictures. Your ideas for jigs and fixtures sure gets the mind going for how to better automate some of the work that I do today.

Your work is definitely inspiring. There has been lots of talk of your joints, but I want to say that I really like your multicolour inlays as well.

Gordon

glenninvb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuild / VCP 8.0

Post by glenninvb »

That is some outstanding work!!!
Love your dedicated jigs, very nice.

I can see where the contrasting woods are the most popular, very attractive Jointery
That is a well thought-out project

Glenn

jtedesco

Post by jtedesco »

Russell, I'd love to know how you got the cove to sweep so nicely around the corners (by the arrows). I can use a 2 rail sweep to model a nice cove, but I struggle in the corners. Do you recommend just using the sculpting tool?

Thanks
-Joe
Attachments
leg.jpg

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard

Post by rscrawford »

I had to do that in Rhino. I used an edge fillet, and goes from 1/4" radius to a 1/2" radius, then to a 2" radius around the back of the leg. Part of the difficulty with the stool legs is that the back of the joint has a 14.5" diameter curve to match the round stool seat. I could get that curve easily in Aspire using 2 rail sweeps, but then I couldn't get the transition from the leg to the joint to include that curve. I modelled it from one view, exported it as an .stl and then when I imported it again I rotated it 90 degrees during the import. That let me get the legs pretty close, and I was able to get it to work on most legs, just not the stool legs.
Russell Crawford

ecurb5
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRouterParts.com CRP4896

Post by ecurb5 »

Russell, was going into Rhino to make that edit because of a limitation of Aspire?

-Bruce