CNC router

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: CNC router

Post by Leo »

Actually yes I did see Ted's machine and it is very robust. I was quiet impressed with it even though we didn't cut anything.

I was so impressed that I got pushed over the edge and will one day build a machine.

Ted is also a great guy and very knowledgeable.

GREAT video Ted.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Watching that video - just inspires me even more.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

I never bother programming above about 250 when doing 3D carving work. All the changes in direction rarely allow the machine to get much above that.

If I am doing "mechanical" work like cutting out pockets and such I use those high feedrates. Normally with a fairly new HSS cutter I will cut .25 deep at the high speeds in pine. I back off a bit on the depth of cut in hardwoods. If I am using a larger cutter like .5 I will cut the .25 depth no problem in hardwood.

The first time I cut at feeds like this it scared the heck out of me! I went back to cutting at a slower feed, but then I started going faster again and am now used to it. When I see someone cutting a mechanical piece on YouTube at 100-200 IPM with a good machine I think WHY?

Before I "retired" I worked at one of the largest cnc laser manufacturers. We are talking 5 X 10 machines cruising along at 3200 IPM rapids, and nice cutting at 2400 in thin material. To see something that big going that fast is amazing.

I was talking with Ger21 one day and he was telling me that the routers where he works leave a rooster tail about 8 feet long when they are cutting. Incredible.

And then there was the machine about 40 years ago cutting aluminum aircraft parts. 50K rpm spindle, depth of cut 3.00 inches, .5 endmill taking a half diameter pass at 1100 IPM. Downright scarey, I swore the tool was going to snap right off. Never happened.

Warped Mind
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by Warped Mind »

Not to through salt on anyone here and their opinion because this is where we all learn about the world of CNC and different software and ideas. I did a lot of soul searching and found that there are unlimited configurations of machines. I decided to go with the Laguna IQ and I could not be happier. Maybe I made a mistake but as of today no doubt in my mind that it is right for me. I have projects that run the machine all day and the water cooled spindle is perfect for that. My only complaint I did not go larger.

Cheers,
Attachments
cnc dust.jpg

Jamesdee1046
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: MultiCam w/Planet CNC Controller

Post by Jamesdee1046 »

I have had my MultiCam Router for about 15 years. It's still chugging along and is very RIGID. They are made in the USA in Texas. The only major change I made was to update my software to Vectric. Chek them out on the web.

Jim
Jim Markevitch
Grapevine, TX

mike1966
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: shopmade 5axis

Post by mike1966 »

I was going to watch that video, but youtube says that video is private?