African Adventure

This is the place to post images of work produced using Aspire
garylmast
Vectric Wizard

African Adventure

Post by garylmast »

I worked on this off and on over the last several months. When my CNC was having problems maintaining the Z height, it really made things slow. Once I change the stepper motor out, it went fairly smooth. I think I'm "intarsia's out". I need to look for another project. Gary
Attachments
African Adventure 1.jpg

jimwill2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CaMaster Stinger w/recoil, FTC

Re: African Adventure

Post by jimwill2 »

Sweet! I can't imagine the time you have invested in that project. Well done!
Jim Williams

PaulRowntree
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: homebuilt 4'x2' (Mach3+G540)

Post by PaulRowntree »

Gary, that is the most sophisticated and well-done Intarsia that I have ever seen! How many pieces are there?

Do you use allowances on these, sand them to fit, ..?
Paul Rowntree
WarpDriver, StandingWave, Topo and gadgets available at PaulRowntree.weebly.com

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

WOW !!
Great work!!
,,are you sure you didn't forget any animals ???

Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

AJF
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSstandard 48x96
Location: Hamlet of Mt. Lorne outside of Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada

Post by AJF »

Very nice work and I really like the composition of the work representing Africa. It brings back memories of the years I lived in Africa I don't even want to guess at the amount of time that went into that project. I would like to know the overall size and the number of different woods you used.

rej
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 2014 roc-tech 4x8 with servos

Post by rej »

very nice. great work.
http://www.3dsigncamp.com
http://www.roctechusacnc.com

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

That came out really nice! I LOVE Judy Gale Roberts' designs! You did her justice with this one. Thanks for sharing the photo.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Total size is 48" x 36". 26 animals. Approx +/- 800 pieces. Woods used was walnut, cedar, cherry, maple, oak, gumwood, birch, pine, alder. Elephants came from a 23-year old recycled cedar fence.

I either traced the vectors using Adobe Illustrator and/or used AutoCad Raster Design which can create a vector from selecting a pixel line. I then bring it into Aspire as a dxf or an ai to finish with its edit tools which is a whole lot easier to use.

One problem I had was I started modeling them using Very High Resolution. Because of the size, my computer crashed, so I had to bring the resolution down to Standard, which caused the components to be jagged. To solve that, I started copying the vectors into "Cut Files" and used Very High Resolution, which gave me a nice, clean component. I spaced them about 0.5mm between vectors.

Pattern came from Judy Gale Roberts Studio.

ohiococonut
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus HD & Custom built 4x4

Post by ohiococonut »

That is really nice!
I'm still trying to pick out all of the animals.

bill_w
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PRSalpha BT48

Post by bill_w »

This takes a lot of imagination and patients excellent work, very well done.
Computers-Yuk....I should junk it...It never does what it should do...only what I tell it.

grahamshere
Vectric Apprentice

Post by grahamshere »

Hi Gary, I know this is an older thread but was wondering, did you cut this intarsia out with the cnc router? Thats a ton of work but wold be great to use the cnc. what bits did you use on this piece. Ive been shaping the intasia with the cnc router but not cutting them out, wasn't sure if the cnc could cut every thing out properly . I have a gallery in cut3d . Graham

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Hi Graham, Initially I used a engraver bit, depth of about .010", to outline all the vectors on the support board I glued the rest of the components to. This was to make it easier to see where each part goes. On this piece, because there was so many lines, I also brushed on some chalk, used in a chalk box, to fill in the lines to make it more visible. Depending on physical size, the only other mills I used was 6-mm ball & end mills and 3-mm ball & end mills on each component. On the profile cut, I left a few thousandth's of a inch and ran the back side through the drum sander to break away each part. If you don't have a drum sander, either a bench disk or belt sander would work to sand the onion skin from the bottom side of components. Gary
Attachments
outline.JPG

grahamshere
Vectric Apprentice

Post by grahamshere »

Thank you for the information, every thing looks like it fits tightly, Looks great, how long did it take to cut that out. what i do is I built a pen plotter for my cnc router and use that to draw out the pattern on to my mdf backing. but haven't cut the pieces out with the cnc yet, but I use it to shape the whole piece like a relief carving, but that means you need to make or buy a 3d model and then make a pattern from it, lots of work lol.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Graham, if you look at the post http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=21696 ,where I have some illustrations, you'll see each section in the drawing has a vector drawn around it. Each section (component) is then modeled in Aspire, so there's no need trying to find a 3-D model, you're making the model. The backing I have used to glue each component on has been 5/32" veneer, which I think would be thinner and stronger then using MDF. By the way, I've seen some of the intarsias you posted, which look great. Gary

scottart
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro HD and CNCrouterparts 4896

Post by scottart »

Bravo. great piece, solid composition, great colors. fun to look at.. makes me tired thinking about all that work..