The first mechanical problem with my Vytek router

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Vytek 4' X 8' - Perske Spindle - Mach3

The first mechanical problem with my Vytek router

Post by ChrisInEstes »

19 years isn't bad, is it? :lol:

I noticed some clunking yesterday when the X Axis direction changed, so I gave the gantry some pushes and pulls and found some wiggle. I found a geared pulley loose on a keyed shaft. I'm in the process of figuring out if the key hole slot in the shaft and/or the pulley got hammered bigger. Hmmm... What happened to allow the play needed to expand the slots? There's a couple ball block bearings on a raceway on that side, so I wonder if the bearing are warn and that let some slop into the system. I know the shaft is a non-standard part, and it looks like the geared pulley is too, so I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with this. I'll probably get a new key and put some shim stock in there with it to get me back making chips till I figure out a better fix.

The picture shows the shaft, the pulley, and the key.

Any ideas for me?
Thanks!
Chris
Attachments
Shaft End 2.jpg
Aspire 9.5 - FlexiEXPERT 11 - Vytek Rebel 4' x 8' - 5HP Perske Spindle

weber765
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: home built and modified Vytek rebel

Re: The first mechanical problem with my Vytek router

Post by weber765 »

Hi Chris
If you can mic the sizes of the shaft and bore and they are still good and round you could pull the shaft and have a machine shop recut the keyway 90 degree's from the existing one and broach a new keyway in the bore, this will not work if the shaft and bore have been wallowed out though.

If that is the case you can have a shop build up the end of the shaft with weld and resize the diameter but you would probably have to find a new timing belt pulley. There is probably no way to repair it. If you check the pulley and get the proper dimensions you can probably find a replacement by searching timing belt pulleys. Martin sprocket has them listed up to a 3 " width, you would need to specify the bore and the pitch. Another option would be to purchase the pulley stock about a foot long and add your own bore and key, and then cap the ends.

I hope this helps you, I do not know a way to fix it without pulling the shaft.

I also have a question to ask:

I have one of these routers and the belts are somewhat wore, have you located a source for them ?

Also the machine I have I converted to mach 3 because I did not have the interface to the original boards. Which is a shame because the original boards
powered up and homed the machine just fine. Anyways I do have the original vyteck boards and power supply that I would be willing to sell if someone
has a need for them.

Glenn

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard

Post by ChrisInEstes »

Hi Glenn,

The shaft and the pulley seem to be fine after checking on that. I have a friend coming over later to look at it and give me some ideas on how to do a quick but temporary fix till I can get a permanent fix figured out. I think you're right on having to remove the shaft for the full fix.

My belts seem to be in great shape, but I do need to figure out where to get replacements so when the time comes, I'm not delayed by not knowing what they are and where to get them. I'll let you know when I figure that out. Vytek is still in business, so I'll ask them first.

My old controller had it's 3rd & final death a couple years ago, so I got a Soigeneris USB controller and Mach3 running smoothstepper. Which controller did your Vytek come with? Mine was the MC3V, which I found out was old when I got it. Had I known that, I would have insisted on a more modern controller.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep this thread updated,
Chris

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard

Post by ChrisInEstes »

My engineer/mechanical friend came over and gave me some advice. I ended up making a custom key which fits in there very well. No slop anymore. There were a couple set screws in the pulley that were loose, so I put some blue Loctite on them and got 'em tightened up. I also put 3-4 little dots of the red Loctite sleeve & bearing retainer stuff on the shaft. If this comes loose again, I'll know there's another issue to look for. But for now, it all looks good and feels tight. I should have the first test run on it tomorrow. I have another question, but I'll start a new thread for it.

Chris

weber765
Vectric Craftsman

Post by weber765 »

Hi Chris

I am glad to hear you got it fixed so easily, most the shafts I get in the shop have the keyway so wore out that a custom key is not an option, but I have done several over the years.

The controller that was on my Vyteck is a 1995 ( as far as I know ) MCY3 , driver boards and a MCY3 PSU Rev. 2 , the boards also have the word MISOMEX printed on them. I still need to finish the wiring on my Vytec, but have ran it with the controls,, it also has a 3 HP Perske spindle.

I also have another router I built with DMM tech. servos and boards running Mach 3 that runs great, I use a Boshe router on it. It has Thompson rails and muli-lead ball screws, it has a 28" x 48" surface area, I did construct the machine so that if I wanted to I could have 28" under the Z axis by raising or lowering the bed, the z axis has 8" travel if I am not mistaken.

Another project I have is a 5 x 10 digital tool router with 2 spindles, 1 is a Perske and the other is just a spindle set up with a drill chuck. I have the original Aneheim controller boards with it and hope to interface Mach 3 directly to the Aneheim driver boards. When I get it done I will have to sell it as I don't have the room for it.

I hadn't thought about contacting Vyteck about the belts, I just figured the machine was so old. When I did contact them they didn't have anyone there that seemed to know anything about the controller or boards.

Anyways , glad you got your machine up and running

Glenn

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard

Post by ChrisInEstes »

I'm not saying my repair is permanent, but maybe it'll be. Time will tell. It's been running for 3-4 hours today, and so far so good.

I do intend to search out a highly rated machine shop and talk to them about what it would take to do the repair as you suggest. That way, if it fails again, I'll have that all set up.

Your 5' x 10' dual spindle machine sounds pretty neat. Would you be able to control both spindles with one controller, or would it act as 2 different routers with 2 controllers?

Thanks for the advice,
Chris

weber765
Vectric Craftsman

Post by weber765 »

Hi Chris
you might get someone to carefully build up the keyway side walls without warping the shaft which means it has to be welded slowly to keep the heat out of it, and then recut the key. If I was to try that I would tig weld it. After it cooled I would be sure the center was still good and clean up the o.d. without getting into the original shaft.

Another option as long as both your diameters are still good on the shaft and in the pulley would be to cut the keyway the next size bigger and then rekey the slot in the pulley to match.

I know I have thrown several options your way but without seeing the shaft its really hard to tell the best way to repair it.

Mach 3 ought to be able to control both spindles ( I believe it is capable of 6 axis) I would just have to program the offset and different Z height if I am not mistaken and then specify which spindle to use. The original digital tool router had 4 axis from the factory. This is nice because I can then use 2 different tools, say a hogger in one and a finish tool in the other
I have not ever programed a machine like this before myself but I know it can be done. Lucky for me I have a few VERY SMART FREINDS.

weber765
Vectric Craftsman

Post by weber765 »

Hi Chris

Here is a link to a dual spindle machine video

weber765
Vectric Craftsman

Post by weber765 »

another 2 spindle link with some info on g-code set-up

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard

Post by ChrisInEstes »

Update... I have been slackin' on this, haven't I? My excuse is I ended up in the hospital for 12 days because of a broken foot right after I fixed this problem. :roll:

So, to the update... The machine started clunking again, so I figured my fix didn't last. I took the covers off the gantry, and found the toothed pulley to still be tight on the shaft. It turned out to be loose bearing blocks on the gantry linear ways. They're adjustable, so I tightened them up and all seems to be good again. I do need to replace a couple other bearings, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Chris

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

ChrisInEstes wrote:Update... I have been slackin' on this, haven't I? My excuse is I ended up in the hospital for 12 days because of a broken foot right after I fixed this problem. :roll:

So, to the update... The machine started clunking again, so I figured my fix didn't last. I took the covers off the gantry, and found the toothed pulley to still be tight on the shaft. It turned out to be loose bearing blocks on the gantry linear ways. They're adjustable, so I tightened them up and all seems to be good again. I do need to replace a couple other bearings, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Chris
Good to hear it's sorted & working ok again Chris, best to check all the bearings, blocks, keys & keyways from time to time, you could make yourself up a maintenance schedule to help with daily, weekly, monthly & annual maintenance to do.

Bad news about your broken foot, must have been really bad if it took 15months for it to be well enough for you to get on with some work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ChrisInEstes
Vectric Wizard

Post by ChrisInEstes »

I have a maintenance schedule... Check it every 19 years if it's clunking. :lol:

Thinking it was healed, I walked on it for about 9 months... So, now I'm on crutches again :roll:

Builds character!
Chris