Free Project - Dutch Country Clock

StuartH
Vectric Craftsman

Free Project - Dutch Country Clock

Post by StuartH »

This month's free project created by Michael Tyler for Vectric is the attractive VCarved wall clock you can see below.

To access the files please visit: http://www.vectric.com/cool-stuff/proje ... clock.html

The project features a design style known as 'Tole (one stroke) Painting' which you can see carved into both
the front and back panels.The files and PDF tutorial are available free of charge to all Aspire 4 and VCarve Pro 7 users.

The finished dimensions of this project are approximately 14" x 10.375" x 1.5".

To view all of the previous free Vectric projects, please visit http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=41
Web & Multimedia Developer
Vectric Ltd

http://about.me/vectric

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Re: Free Project - Dutch Country Clock

Post by MarkJohnston »

Michael another great project!!

I have a question about the 2d profile cutout that I have run across before. When you check the "outside/right" button and you have the outer most cut like your project and have the inner circle to cut as well it cuts on the inside of the circle instead of the outside. If you just were cutting the inner circle you would cut on the outside not the inside. I can't get my head around why it does that . It's really easy to see if you turn on the solid box on the toolpaths.

Often times when I have a inner circle I cut it first with the tabs then remove the piece and run the toolpath again without the tabs set on to remove the tabs that were left from the first cut. It just makes it easier for me to clean up the tabs especially if it's a odd shape cut. That's why I discovered I had to cut inside the inner circle on this project instead of outside because I wasn't cutting the outer cut on the project on the second run.

Maybe not worth mentioning but just wanted to understand why it does that.

Thanks again for not only the great projects but also a good learning tool about other features that you use like the fluting toolpath you used in this example.

Mark

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I assume that's because whenever you have an inner and outer vector selected it assumes that the part you want to keep is the bit between the two vectors so the inner part is cut in the waste as is the outer part.

Also if you had a part with some 6mm holes (for example) and it didn't work that way then the holes would all be too big. It's a lot easier than having to create separate toolpaths.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Mark,

It's by design to work that way. Adrian gave a good explanation. To recap, if you have two closed shapes selected (one inside the other) and you toolpath to have the bit cut on the outside of the line, the outer profile will cut along the outside of the line and the inner profile will be cut inside the line. It's how the software has worked since the beginning...or at least as far as I can remember!
:)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

MarkJohnston
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster MC4848

Post by MarkJohnston »

Thanks Adrian and Michael. I guess I normally have done a toolpath for each cutout separately. I'm not saying it is wrong but was a bit confusing for me. I think I understand now, thanks for the explanation.

Mark

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

MarkJohnston wrote:Thanks Adrian and Michael. I guess I normally have done a toolpath for each cutout separately. I'm not saying it is wrong but was a bit confusing for me. I think I understand now, thanks for the explanation.

Mark
You're welcome, Mark. I tend to enjoy the convenience of this behavior. It allows me to create the toolpath just once and handles both profile operations 'automagically' in a scenario such as in this project. Nothing wrong with creating two separate toolpaths like you have done before...I've done that myself.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC