Dust Collector Mods

This section is for useful tips and tricks for Aspire
zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Dust Collector Mods

Post by zeeway »

Several years ago, I got rid of my dust collector because of the noise it generated. Since that time I have rediscovered that breathing wood dust is not much fun…and that the ear-phone type of hearing protection is very effective (brilliant). So I have reengineered another dust collector for my small shop, which has made a world of difference in terms of clearing the air and keeping my shop and my lungs cleaner. A few days ago, I carved some mdf, and it was almost pleasant.

This design is based on info I found on-line, and uses a Harbor Freight DC, and includes a Thien baffle This same design can be used on similar models in other brands such as Jet, Grizzly, etc. My goal was to eliminate the bags and filters and still keep the air clean.

So this was the starting model:
HF Dust Collector Stock.JPG
It now looks like this and exhausts through a dryer vent to the outside world. But because the Thien baffle is so effective as a separator, very few of the visible particles make it to the exhaust stream. You may also notice, that it has become a stand for my computer monitor.
DC Layout.JPG
DCphoto1.JPG
Part 3 is the Thien baffle. The trash can (rubbish bin) is a USA standard of 30 gallon size. All the plywood used is ¾ inch. If anyone is interested, I will post files for the plywood parts.

Angie

rej
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 2014 roc-tech 4x8 with servos

Re: Dust Collector Mods

Post by rej »

please do
http://www.3dsigncamp.com
http://www.roctechusacnc.com

fretsman68
Vectric Wizard

Post by fretsman68 »

I would LOVE to hear more, Angie. And please, the more detailed info and pictures, the better. :lol:

By the way, nice looking floor on that shop, any more shop pics?

Thanks as always, and Happy Holidays!
Dave
--------------
Dave

ohiococonut
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus HD & Custom built 4x4

Post by ohiococonut »

Angie,
I did the same thing a while back but I also added a cyclone dust collector before the dust collector. Mine basically consisted of another 55gal can and lid with two 90degree street elbows and two 90degree elbows. The elbows in the can face opposite directions to create the cyclone effect. It collects most of the chips and dust and to date is the only thing I've had to empty. I also added a 40" tall 1 micron filter to my dust collector because I can't exhaust outside. The cyclone can is in my shop and the dust collector is another room so I can't hear it. I rewired the switch so it's right beside my CNC so when I want to run it I simply flip the switch on. My CNC is not that large so it's in an enclosure I built to contain all of the dust/chips and cut down on the noise. I've got an exhaust post at the back of the enclosure and intake ports at the front. The entire system is quiet and my shop is virtually dust free.

zeeway
Vectric Wizard

Post by zeeway »

Thanks, all. Well, I figured out my drawing above was a little different from the real thing...so here is the revised version:
DC Layout REV.JPG
First I removed the impeller inlet and bought twelve longer (metric) screws to be able to screw through part #1, and attached the impeller inlet back on, along with part #1. I had to mark and cut clearance in part #1 for the exhaust port. I then attached part #2 to this assembly using wood screws, facing the groove side down. By the way, I used foam weatherstripping in all the grooves (you'll see them in parts 1-3) to help seal against the collector and the chip can. I attached parts 3 and 4 together, with the grooves facing outward, as well.

Then the 3-4 assembly was put on top of the chip can, the collector was placed on top of that, and the impeller assembly on top of that. The I used threaded rods and nuts (think it was 5/16 inch dia), in four places to trap the collector into place and provide a good seal. Gravity provides the seal against the chip can. I used the transparent (and expensive) 4 inch hose from Woodcraft USA for all the connections. At the hose ends I used hose ends from Woodcraft also, which I fitted into PVC adapters. Also being a bit paranoid, I ran some solid copper into the hose at each end and grounded it to my router mount at one end and the impeller assembly at the other. The eyebolts were added to provide a way to hoist the motor/impeller assembly up when the can needs emptying.

zeeway
Vectric Wizard

Post by zeeway »

Here are the files in Aspire format. I removed the some of the toolpaths to make them smaller, but they should be fairly obvious...

Part 1...
DC impeller bottom.crv3d
(21 KiB) Downloaded 674 times
Part 2...
DC collector top.crv3d
(266 KiB) Downloaded 574 times
Part 3...
DC collector bottom.crv3d
(334.5 KiB) Downloaded 556 times
Part 4...
DC can top.crv3d
(755 KiB) Downloaded 557 times
So if all my file attaching went right, that should be it. I also made a platform with locking casters on it under the chip can, but by now you get the idea.

Angie

zeeway
Vectric Wizard

Post by zeeway »

And here is the machine end..please note the high-tech hose hanger (patent pending)...
DCphoto4.JPG

zeeway
Vectric Wizard

Post by zeeway »

Well, looking at the picture, I had forgotten that I added some j hooks to hold the hold the assembly to the chip can via the handles on the side...

Angie

CountryWoodCrafts
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro HD & Pro Plus Long Beds

Post by CountryWoodCrafts »

I shall be modifying my Harbor freight collector to this . . . I appreciate the instructions and files . . .

zeeway
Vectric Wizard

Post by zeeway »

fretsman68 wrote:I would LOVE to hear more, Angie. And please, the more detailed info and pictures, the better. :lol:

By the way, nice looking floor on that shop, any more shop pics?

Thanks as always, and Happy Holidays!
Dave
Thanks, Dave.

Merry Christmas to you and yours. My official shop is very small...a single car garage size, but I do have tool storage and another workbench in the other side. Ah yes, I am proud of that floor...I laid that tile about two years ago. While my knees complained for about a week, the tile makes it much easier to keep the floor clean. I have great appreciation of anyone who does that for a living.

Angie

zeeway
Vectric Wizard

Post by zeeway »

CountryWoodCrafts wrote:I shall be modifying my Harbor freight collector to this . . . I appreciate the instructions and files . . .
Glad to help...any questions, please let me know.

Angie

vgraves
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router Parts PRO4848 w/LinuxCNC

Post by vgraves »

Here's another option for consideration. Instead of a Thein separator, I used a Super Dust Deputy along with a Harbor Freight DC. The exhaust is filtered through a Wynn Environmental C1425 filter.

Van
Attachments
2013-03-26 DC 2.jpg

zeeway
Vectric Wizard

Post by zeeway »

Van-

Your way also is better for saving any heating or cooling in your shop air. I live in a usually-moderate climate, so it works to exhaust to the outside, even though it sucks out the shop air...but I am happy to avoid messing with a filter.

Angie

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Post by Bob Reda »

I have a hose hanger that looks exactly like that :D At my age, I have really concentrated on dust collecting on everything. The least little sawdust up the nose and its probably into a sinus infection and with two replaced hips I can't have an infection. If you don't have it yet, make it a top priority. You'll live longer.

Bob

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Angie,

Would you mind posting a photo of the intake/exhaust side of your collector? You inspired me...I ordered the same HF unit and the DC kit w/hoses. All arrived yesterday and I was compiling your photos and text to make me a sort of "instruction manual" to follow. Thank you for starting this thread and describing your modification!
:)
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC