Switching to Mach 3

daibeer
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Heiz S-1000

Switching to Mach 3

Post by daibeer »

Hi
Iv been using WinPCNC USB edition and don't really get on with it and am thinking of switching to Mach 3. The only problem is my laptop doesn't have a parallel port. I know you can get various leads and would, for ease of use, prefer to have the USB to Parallel option. I need advice on this please.
Thanks in anticipation.
Dave.

usLEDsupply
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Digital Tool CNC Router + Speedy 400 120

Re: Switching to Mach 3

Post by usLEDsupply »

Mach 4 should be out any time now so i would wait and get it as they arent offering a upgrade option for Mach 3
as for the laptop i use the eithernet smooth stepper and love it as it has lost of extra I/O ports for extras like touch plates and such

daibeer
Vectric Craftsman

Post by daibeer »

Hi
Thanks,
I'll look into the Ethernet smooth stepper and will wait for Mach 4 methinks.
cheers
Dave

spinningwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Taig Mill and Self Built Routers

Post by spinningwood »

Smooth Stepper is a good idea with a laptop. Waiting for Mach4, maybe not so good.

Have a look at the Mach4 update page:

http://www.machsupport.com/software/mach4/

My understanding is that, depending on your hardware, Mach4 could be available to work with your machine soon, later, lots later or never. Of course, I could be understanding things wrong. You might talk to your machine / controller vendor to get a better idea.

Mach3 does everything I need. I can't see any reason to upgrade to Mach4 with my current machine. But, that's me. Everyone will have to figure that out for themselves. Take a look at Mach3. It might be all you need and it's available today.

Ed

daibeer
Vectric Craftsman

Post by daibeer »

Hi
Yes, I agree that Mach 3 is all that I will need so as soon as I get the other problem out of the way, I will be ordering. I am a hobbyist with a very tight budget (wife runs the budget) so I need the simplest way and cheapest to hook up to my laptop. I did look at smooth stepper but to expensive and I will never need all those spare ports. The controller cards I don't understand and wouldn't know where to install them. I just need a simple hookup with the one port. So if anyone can point me in the right direction to a solution I will be grateful.
Dave

daniellyall
Model of CNC Machine: emco pc mill 30 1200 x 2400 x 200 router

Post by daniellyall »

ask on cnczone or mach3 site

daibeer
Vectric Craftsman

Post by daibeer »

Hi
Will do on Monday. Thanks
Dave

Kym
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built

Post by Kym »

Hi Dave,
Mach3 is a great control program also with great forum support.
Mach3 does not require a super powerfull computer to run it.
Have you considered a second hand PC that can be totally dedicated to your machine instead of your laptop?
Cheers,
Kym

daniellyall

Post by daniellyall »

daibeer
Vectric Craftsman

Post by daibeer »

Hi
Thanks everyone for your advice. I have bought a small computer off ebay. Buying Mach3 tomorrow.
regards
Dave

larryo
Vectric Craftsman

Post by larryo »

I looked at mach 4 the other day and I dont think I will want it. I tried there counter part from florida last year it is more of a pain than good. Stay with the mach 3 it is the best driver I have seen in a long time. Maybe if they go to the mach 4 version art could take over again. so we dont loose a good program.

daibeer
Vectric Craftsman

Post by daibeer »

Hi
I ended up buying Mach3. It took a couple of days to configure with help off the Mach3 forum but I now agree, it's a cracking piece of kit and glad I bought it.
Dave

daniellyall

Post by daniellyall »

mach3 is a realy good program easy to learn and all that, mach4 will be the same but looking at what you will be able to do with it it will be better in a lot of ways, i am going to be going to mach4 when it relesed as it will be easyer to make you own screen sets and it will be faster that is what i wont it for, going 500mm/min is to slow on the size machine i run i would say i would be able to run it at 700mm/min with mach4 as its the computer that slows the machine down in mach3.
just my troughts on mach3 verses mach4

larryo
Vectric Craftsman

Post by larryo »

yes I can run the full 10 ft of my machine in under 30 sec. no missed steps or anything the problem will be in the futur Mach 3 was and is you buy the program you always own it even with upgrades. It was made with the blood and sweat of a lot of people. and it was for hobbiest but it became big and now comercial people want it. This makes it expensive. with mach 4 and most of the american programs. you buy now next year you up date etc . I am not saying it is going to happen but that is the way the program in florida works (eclipso or somthing like that. they said they were mac3 s new screen) it seem every time you look at it they put somthing else small into it and want another 50 or 60 bucks. tried it didnt find it any better than what I had got rid of it best thing I ever did.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Larry, most software works that way already, doesn't matter who it is for (Hobbyist or Commercial) so that wouldn't put me off upgrading to mach4 but i doubt I will be when it becomes available. I know some people will always upgrade just to have the latest version regardless of cost but I only tend to do it as & when I need to. I currently run adobe cs1 for any photo editing I need to do, I wouldn't argue with anyone who said that cs6 is better BUT cs1 does everything I need it to so I don't see the point in spending a lot of money to upgrade for no real benefit to myself. Same will be true with control software, if mach3 continues to do everything I need it to then I won't be upgrading but if mach4 does things I feel would be better for me then I will look at it.