Aspire 4.0 tutorials install

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
mjpusa

Aspire 4.0 tutorials install

Post by mjpusa »

I cannot get the tutorials to install on my windows xp computer. Any ideas?

thanks JP

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Aspire 4.0 tutorials install

Post by Adrian »

What's happening when you try to install them? Are you getting an error message or is it that you can't find them when they've been installed?

mjpusa

Post by mjpusa »

You klick on install tutorial button and it goes to install screen you klick on install and it goes to finished install and I get no error messsages. The install path looks to be for vista and above and not for xp

JP

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You're right. Just tried it on my wifes old XP laptop and it won't install on there either. I don't think it's a path issue as the path displayed (in the brief second I can see it!) definitely says c:\documents and settings at the start which is XP not Windows Vista/7 which would display c:\users\public.

Installing them manually is an option if nothing else works. The path they need to go into is c:\documents and setting\all users\shared documents\vectric files\tutorial files\Aspire V4.0

The clipart goes to c:\documents and setting\all users\shared documents\vectric files\clipart

Hopefully one of the Vectric staff have an answer to get the install working on XP so you don't have to do that though.

David Rueth
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus HD

Post by David Rueth »

I also have a desktop running windows XP SP3 and had the same problem. Spent some time going nuts trying to find out what was wrong or were did it put the files. Finally gave up an load the files manualy. Did not realise they were sopose to be in the dir found in one of the above posts. I just put them in a sub dir under my documents. Be aware there are files on disk 1 and disk 2. I had the same problem trying to setup the clip art

Dave Rueth

Dclifton2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: home built shopbot clone. CNC lathe

Post by Dclifton2 »

I had the same problem with both tutorials and Clipart. On one machine I got the little cammera on my desktop and on the other I didn't. I think it wanted to run them from the DVD.
Don Clifton

mazzy
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CRP4896

Post by mazzy »

I had the same problem with my XP. My answer was to install them manually.

Mazzy

mjpusa

Post by mjpusa »

I got the clipart to install but have not got the right files in the right place yet.for the tutorial. I need a break spent too much time on this. :roll:

mjpusa

Post by mjpusa »

Still havent been able to install Aspire 4.0 tutorial on my windows xp computer. I apparently don't know how to. anybody can provide the right steps for doing this would be appreciated.
thanks.

JP

EdwardP
Vectric Staff

Post by EdwardP »

It seems that on Windows XP only, the installer is unable to create the folder into which it is trying to copy the files. I have fixed this for any future disk images we produce, but I'm afraid that for those of you on XP, with a first version of the disk, a manual workaround is required.

1) Open your Vectric Files folder, which you can find by clicking the 'Shared Documents' folder in the left-hand pane of Windows Explorer, or navigate directly using the following path: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Vectric Files

2) In the Vectric Files folder, create a folder called Tutorial Files (you can create a new folder in Explorer by using the File->New->Folder command from its main menu).

3) Inside the the Tutorial Files folder you have just created, make a new folder called Aspire V4.0 - Note: this name must be exactly as written here, including the space between Aspire and V4.0

Your existing DVD tutorial installers should now work.

Unfortunately the same problem also applies for the Clipart installer on your DVD. In step (2) above you can also create a folder called Clipart inside the Vectric Files folder to resolve this issue at the same time.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience, but hopefully this will get everyone back up and running on XP.

Edward

Vectric Staff
Attachments
The Vectric Files folder in Windows XP
The Vectric Files folder in Windows XP
The 'Aspire V4.0' inside the 'Tutorial Files' folder - both of which you must create manually
The 'Aspire V4.0' inside the 'Tutorial Files' folder - both of which you must create manually

mjpusa

Post by mjpusa »

Thanks for the install instructions, it worked.

JP

ohiococonut
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus HD & Custom built 4x4

Post by ohiococonut »

I wondered why it only took about 3 seconds to install the Clipart, it didn't. It took a few minutes to install it manually. Thanks for the info.