VCarve Pro - Making a single straight line

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jimreed1948
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Torchmate

VCarve Pro - Making a single straight line

Post by jimreed1948 »

I'm new to Vcarve Pro but not to drawing software. Two other programs I have used have a tool to draw a straight line, Vcarve doesn't. What's the trick here? If I use another tool such as the arc, and use it for a straight line and not an arc, it looks good, but it will not cut because there is an open vector.

So how do I draw and cut a single or multiple straight lines?

Thanks for the help.

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: VCarve Pro - Making a single straight line

Post by tmerrill »

Use the 'Draw Polyline' tool. Realize a single vector will be an open vector, whether straight or curved. There are toolpaths that work with open vectors and those that don't. It really depends on the results you are trying to get.

Being new to the software, are you aware of the tutorials found here - they can really help get you going:

http://www.vectric.com/support/training-material.html

Tim

jimreed1948
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Torchmate

Re: VCarve Pro - Making a single straight line

Post by jimreed1948 »

tmerrill wrote:Use the 'Draw Polyline' tool. Realize a single vector will be an open vector, whether straight or curved. There are toolpaths that work with open vectors and those that don't. It really depends on the results you are trying to get.

Being new to the software, are you aware of the tutorials found here - they can really help get you going:

http://www.vectric.com/support/training-material.html

Tim
Thanks for the help. I have reviewed some of the video but not the one that showed the polyline tool. I can now draw a straight line. I also found the toolpath you were talking about and it works fine now.