a Mach 3 probably simple question

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
mazzy
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CRP4896

a Mach 3 probably simple question

Post by mazzy »

Hi,

Now that I have my homing sensors set up I can begin my day's work at a X=0 Y=0 baseline. From there I will want to start my Aspire project at, say, X=2 Y=2. Is there a way to, using Mach 3, be able to input for the cnc to go to X=2 Y=2? I've tried using the jogging function and it is nearly impossible to line it up exactly at that point. There is probably a very simple explanation.

Thanks,
Mazzy

Woodbutcher-59
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt 3'x5'x6"

Re: a Mach 3 probably simple question

Post by Woodbutcher-59 »

Hi Mazzy,

Go to the second tab at the top of the Mach screen...MDI I think.

On that page there is an area to input Gcode commands.

Put in G0 x2y2 and hit return...

Jeff
Aspire 10
Mach 3

" I'm tryin to think but nothin happens " - Curly Howard

mazzy
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mazzy »

Thanks Jeff...seems simple enough.

Mazzy

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Mazzy,

Another Mach3 thought for you. Usually I home my machine (Ref All Home) first thing...that will establish the zero points for the machine coordinates. Then I manually jog the machine to my start point. Next I will write the start point machine coordinates on a piece of paper, in case I need to re-establish the same center point later. Lastly, I switch the display to table coordinates, and zero x and y...then go from there.

Angie

mazzy
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mazzy »

Angie,

What is the difference between machine coordinates and table coordinates? How would I switch back and forth?

Mazzy

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

Mazzy,

Machine coordinates set X/Y zero when your machine triggers its homing switches. So if you have limit switches, and click on "Ref All Home", your machine will move toward the direction of x=0, y=0 until it hits the homing switches, at which time it will set x=0, y=0 in the machine coordinates. You can think of machine coordinates as a x/y grid that starts from your gantry/router position when it is in the final "ref all home" postion.

Mach 3 can also keep a second grid in its head from the zero you set when you move your gantry/router to the position to correspond with the zero you set in your Aspire design in the material screen. Typically I set x/y=o in the center of my material. So after "ref all home", with the machine coordinates x/y=0, I move the axis to the center of the material, and click on x next to the digital read out, and y next to the digital readout, which sets x/y=0 in the work coordinates that measure everything from this new origin. Under the Digital readout (DRO), there is a button that is labeled "Machine Coords", if you click that it will go back and forth between the machine coordinates and the work coordinates. When the little red marker is lit under this label it means the read outs are showing machine coordinates.

Angie

ps - you can download the Mach3 manual from the ArtSoft website, and it will explain this and everything else much better than I can...
http://www.machsupport.com/

mazzy
Vectric Craftsman

Post by mazzy »

Thanks Angie,

Very good explanation. I've printed out and perused the manual but, not being a computer or electrical engineer, it is a bit on the difficult side. I'm sort of burrowing through it as I learn more about the whole of cnc.

Thanks...this help to fit a couple more pieces in the puzzle.

Mazzy

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

mazzy wrote:Angie,

What is the difference between machine coordinates and table coordinates? How would I switch back and forth?

Mazzy
You might want to watch the "Homing, Limits and Offsets" video here.
http://www.machsupport.com/videos/
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com