size of file

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
brockadeau
Vectric Craftsman

size of file

Post by brockadeau »

Tony or Brian-- I have a hugh dxf file, which I can cut using the 2D function, but I get an error message with the 3D function. This file was created in Corel Trace and exported as a dxf file(I can't send you a copy of it as is too bid to upload). I know it is messy, so my questions are-- what are the maximum capabilities fo vcarve. What is the cause of many of the failures-- is it due to the size of the file, overlapping lines, duplicate lines, and is there a better method of clean up and or conversion. thanks for you input-- Jack

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Hello Jack,

VCW will sometimes fail to calculate 3D vcarving toolpaths if the file contains lots of overlaping / crossing vectors that make it impossible to determine which areas are on the inside and outside of the design.

When you say failing - what message is reported?

Have you tried using InkScape to vectorize te image to see if this gives any better results?

See > http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=266#266

Tony

brockadeau
Vectric Craftsman

size of file

Post by brockadeau »

Tony-- because of the graphics involved inkscape would not process it. With a ton of work I can clean it up manually in other software after vectorizing it in corel trace, jut was hoping for something better and trying to understand the limitaions of vcarve. There are 3634 vectors in the drawing and the error message is "error occured while processing data, please check for duplicate lines, crossings, etc." Jack

Tony Mac
Vectric Alumni

Post by Tony Mac »

Jack,

It sounds like the file includes crossing vectors that do not represent a valid
combination of inside / outside entities.

To give you a feel for the level of complexity and file size that VCW can handle.
The eps file for the Celtic Mazeand Solution is 5Mb and contain 4,500 vectors.
The 3D toolpaths for this design take around 15 seconds to calculate.

E-mail the image file to - support@vectric.com and we'll take a closer look.

Tony