HPGL

OakeyDokey
Model of CNC Machine: Sei 810 personel router

HPGL

Post by OakeyDokey »

Is it possible to have a z control using a hp printer driver to output direct to my machine? I've been playing with the post processors but to no avail yet. Just wondering if I was wasting my time

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: HPGL

Post by Adrian »

Have you read through the post processor editing guide (it's on the Help menu in the Cut2D, VCarve and Aspire)?

There's not much I can add that isn't explained in there.

OakeyDokey

Post by OakeyDokey »

I have read through it and I've looked at some plt output files outputed from my machines control sotware, but nothing seems to make the z axis alter. I'm wondering if the HP driver being a printer driver doesn't output z controls.
Thanks,
Paul

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I'm no expert on HPGL but as far as I know it's used for vinyl cutters and plotting machines which only have the concept of up or down for the Z (pen) with no movement level. It's either in contact with the material or not.

Some of the Roland Post Procesors appear to be a form of HPGL that have Z levels in them. Might be worth experimenting with those (keep a hand near the stop button!). Dropping a line to support@vectric.com (if you haven't already done so) is worth a go as they might know of someone with a similiar machine.

OakeyDokey

Post by OakeyDokey »

Thanks for that Adrian. I'll e-mail Vectric support and play with the Roland post processors a go in the meantime.