How to just cut a single straight line

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
KGunnett
Model of CNC Machine: General iCarver 40-915X M1

How to just cut a single straight line

Post by KGunnett »

I'm pretty new to V-carve, I don't even have a CNC machine yet. I figured that it was better to learn something about the software before ruining a bunch of wood. I'm learning by watching the videos...

I just haven't figure out how to do this. I draw a square box. Inside that box, I place a large box, on top of that I place a smaller box, and another on that, sort of forming a set of stairs. I join or group the boxes together, then I remove all the interior lines. I then select the large square and stairs, and use the pocket toolpath to leave me a raised platform in the center of the work. Lets say that is machine down to a 1/2 inch.

Now, this is my probem, I would like to put back some of the lines I deleted, but only deep enough to make them show up (.005?). I select the line I want to engrave, and V-carve tells me it is a open vector.

How do you do it, all I want to do is engrave a straight line, and tell the program to center the bit on that line. I'm sure it is something simple.

And on the subject of open vector, is there a way to get V-carve to show me where they are located?

Thank you in advance...
K.G

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: How to just cut a single straight line

Post by Adrian »

To find the open vectors look on the Edit menu and you'll find an entry called "Select All Open Vectors".

For the toolpath you need to use a Profile toolpath rather than a VCarve toolpath. As you've found out a VCarve toolpath will only work on closed vectors.

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Post by zeeway »

You will also find that in v-carving a single line, your selection of a shallow depth will show up as a line of varying width if the top of your material is out of parallel with the horizontal plane of the spindle. In other words, a selection of 5 thousandths for a depth may not show uniformly on your workpiece.

Angie

KGunnett
Model of CNC Machine: General iCarver 40-915X M1

Post by KGunnett »

Oh just great! I just did what you said, and now feel like a complete idiot! :) The profile toolpath was the only place I didn't look.

Thanks again....
K.G

Adrian wrote:To find the open vectors look on the Edit menu and you'll find an entry called "Select All Open Vectors".

For the toolpath you need to use a Profile toolpath rather than a VCarve toolpath. As you've found out a VCarve toolpath will only work on closed vectors.