These are my pictures in wood

Gallery for images of work cut using PhotoVCarve
patmcl
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: shop bot

Re: These are my pictures in wood

Post by patmcl »

Well even trying your setting, some of which I am not sure how to acheave my image is still way to dark. It may be my starting photo I am not sure though. The image I am starting off with is over 50 years old.
Pat

Joe Crumley
Vectric Wizard

Post by Joe Crumley »

Markus,

I also think it's an interesting effect. To me, it's doubtful I could generate enough work unless it went on the national market. That would probably be the place to investigate. I may see if this technique would work on more perminant surface like aluminum or copper. That way it could be used for emblems on animal grave stones. I can see that as a more viable market. Wish you were doing something like that. I would rather mail order than do the work.

Joe Crumley

jaru-eri
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Taig and router, Gecko G540, Mach3

Post by jaru-eri »

You said the finishing method was the most difficult part of this work. Can you give us some tips regarding that?

Joe Crumley
Vectric Wizard

Post by Joe Crumley »

I know nothing about your process but it seems to me you are on to something special.

My first thought is to consider a material like sculpt nouveau brass. It can be applied to most anything and is thin enough not to hide detail. But I can't figure out how much detail there is. I'd like to work with you to see if there isn't some way to make this viable for you.

Joe Crumley

Joe Crumley
Vectric Wizard

Post by Joe Crumley »

Marcus,

Would it be possible to place one of the portraits inside a highly decorative oval and surface gild, 23K, the whole piece. Is there enough detail to carry that of?

Joe Crumley

JJWMACHINECO
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Re-worked/Modified K2CNC KG-3925

Post by JJWMACHINECO »

Marcus,

You are on to something very special and unique using the PhotoVcarve software. Back when I had a spindle on my CNC router I wanted to be able to get the effects that you are achieving with photos, but never could quite get it right. I ended up going the easy route and installed a laser on it and started burning pictures instead. Nothing special, I just did not have to listen to screaming spindles/vacuums, dealing with dust and not have to do any staining, sanding or finishing. I own a CNC machine shop and CNC engraving is just a hobby for me. Letting the cat out of the bag on what I developed and figured out using PVC was more for the gratification that I was able to do it first when others claimed it could not be done.

I hope you turn this into something that is very profitable for you. Most importantly, having the gratification knowing that no one else has achieved these very impressive engraved photo effects before. You really need to keep your secrets of the finishing process to yourself.

Sorry guys and gals, this is just my opinion. :P
Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

Joe Crumley
Vectric Wizard

Post by Joe Crumley »

I'm not interested at all in keeping techniques secret. As a Letterhead I'm dedicated to helping as many striving artists as I can. It's the rising tide theory.

Joe Crumley

GaryR6
Vectric Wizard

Post by GaryR6 »

Thanks Joe, it is people like you that make the forum work.

JJWMACHINECO
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JJWMACHINECO »

GaryR6 wrote:Thanks Joe, it is people like you that make the forum work.
Gary, it's people like all of us here that makes this forum work. Not just the people with the theory like tsunami Joe has.

Just an observation. It's Joe's first time posting in the PhotoVcarve section of this forum only when Marcus started this thread showing all of us his very impressive and unique photo engravings using PVC.

http://www.vectric.com/forum/search.php ... mit=Search

I'm sure Joe does not disclose all his trade secrets either. Who does???
Extensivly Re-worked/Re-designed/Modified Servo K2CNC KG-3925 and the Mini Laser Engraver

Joe Crumley
Vectric Wizard

Post by Joe Crumley »

JJWMACHINECO

I'm sure Gary didn't mean to exclude anyone who contributes. We all appreciate your contributions also.

About Me: I have a totally open shop. It's not only open to customers I encourage my competition to come by also. I'll take time out to show them ALL the in's and outs of everything. If you are anyone has a question about pricing I'm glad to discuss they way I go about it. As a Letterhead I believe we all gain from sharing out techniques and proceedures. I'm not suggesting you do anything that makes them uncomfortable. Keep your secrets if you want. However we all do better by sharing and helping each other.

Joe Crumley

andyb
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: MultiCAM, Shopbot PRTAlpha

Post by andyb »

Joe,
Thank you for all your knowledge sharing. IT IS people like you that make this forum great, no matter what section you post in. You are always willing to share openly on any forums that you are active on. I've learned so much for you already. You are one of the few people on the forum that hold nothing back. Please continue to share.

Markus,
Great work. I am totally amazed at the quality of the finished product. The high-gloss finish really makes it stand out. Joe has a great suggestion. Have you trying it in aluminum or brass? People would love to have that on a memorial plaque, retirement plaque, for a newborn baby like patmcl or something of that nature. You have several directions you can go. Again, thanks for posting your amazing work.

Andy B.
[b]Oak Branch Manufacturing[/b]
andy@oakbranchmfg.com
678-971-5502
[url]http://www.oakbranchmfg.com[/url]

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Post by Ms Wolffie »

JJWMACHINECO wrote:
GaryR6 wrote:Thanks Joe, it is people like you that make the forum work.
Gary, it's people like all of us here that makes this forum work. Not just the people with the theory like tsunami Joe has.

Just an observation. It's Joe's first time posting in the PhotoVcarve section of this forum only when Marcus started this thread showing all of us his very impressive and unique photo engravings using PVC.

http://www.vectric.com/forum/search.php ... mit=Search

I'm sure Joe does not disclose all his trade secrets either. Who does???
Whoa
Wolffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

signmarketingman
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Professional done home built.

Post by signmarketingman »

You really need to keep your secrets of the finishing process to yourself.
I disagree on all points.

There is nothing new in the world of finishing our work. Just things that are just misplaced then refound. We do not own our secret techniques. Someone has already done it. All it takes is someone who wants to achieve some goal and our long lost finishing techniques will be back in use again.

JJWMACHINECO
Vectric Craftsman

Post by JJWMACHINECO »

signmarketingman wrote:
You really need to keep your secrets of the finishing process to yourself.
I disagree on all points.

There is nothing new in the world of finishing our work. Just things that are just misplaced then refound. We do not own our secret techniques. Someone has already done it. All it takes is someone who wants to achieve some goal and our long lost finishing techniques will be back in use again.

I totally disagree with you on all your points. This finishing process Marcus came up with has to do with using the Vectric PhotoVcarve software and his CNC machine, nothing else. Even the tutorials and examples that Vectric has provided has very visible lines that vary in width to get the effect of shades to bring out the image. Marcus has taken that one step further with the way his settings are and especially the way he is finishing his engravings after they are cut. His process is like a lithophane, but in wood without the need of back lighting. Below are a couple of my failed attempts.

You show us, on this forum, using the Vectric PVC software where someone has succeeded to the level of image finishing perfection that Marcus has achieved. If Marcus wants to disclose his process, that's great. If he doesn't, that's fine with me because he does own it. Enough said.

Attachments
Trolly
Trolly
Jaguar
Jaguar

sped1530
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: cast cnc joe 4x4

Post by sped1530 »

Don't know about all this stuff. I do know I'd give my right bearings to be able to turn out something that looked like that. It's art. Good job. :mrgreen: