Trouble resizing

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

Rapiddawg
Vectric Apprentice

Trouble resizing

Post by Rapiddawg »

Mr. Booth,
I recently purchased from vector 3D the Coat of Arms. I am having trouble resizing it. The size I want is 12.5 wide by 19 long. My wood is 13x21. My shark will only cut to 13 max. When I start the 3D machinest I put in the dim. and go through the steps. it still show it cutting out side the outer limites. What might I be doing wrong? This was my last purchase from Vector if you need to see what file. or I can send it to you if needed. Thanks for any help.
Keith

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Re: Trouble resizing

Post by JamesB »

Hello Keith
Machinist will automatically go past the edge of the part by a certain amount (roughly the tool rad) to make sure the sides are going to be cut properly. So in Machinist if you have set the XY datum position to the Lower Left position and entered a value of X0 Y0 then the tool will be cutting negative X and Y a little. This may send it outside the limits. So first thing to try would probably be to set the X and Y positions both to 0.25 to force the part up and over a quarter of an inch to allow a little space for the tool to roll over the edges of the models.

Depending on the size of the bits you are using 12.5" within 13" may be too close as you only have 0.25 on each side of the part so a 0.25 roughing bit with any kind of material allowance would go too far. So if the above suggestion does not work you may need to scale the part to be 12" instead and leave a 0.5" gap for X and Y.

Hope this helps, if not please post with more info and perhaps screen shot of the "Set Dimensions" page in Machinist so myself or someone else can try to troubleshoot.

Cheers,
James

Rapiddawg
Vectric Apprentice

Re: Trouble resizing

Post by Rapiddawg »

Thank you for the return advice. I will do that. LOL just another reason to get a bigger machine,