V-Carving a 3d model

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

DanielBEE
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: n/a

V-Carving a 3d model

Post by DanielBEE »

Is it possible to take a 3d model from VA3D and convert it for use with V-Carving, I've got a customer who wants the look of a 3d panel, but at a fraction of the cost.

I have aspire, so if there is some tweaking or vectorizing I can do, I've got the software.

Thanks,
Daniel
Aspire 2.0
Biesse Rover A 3.30
Biessworks
PC/Mac Draft
AutoCad
AutoDesk Inventor
Trumpf

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: V-Carving a 3d model

Post by tmerrill »

Daniel,

Have you searched the VectorArt site yet?

http://www.vectorart.com/

Tim

DanielBEE
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: n/a

Post by DanielBEE »

Not entirely,

The customer brought in a photo of a door with a panel they wanted me to copy. I ball parked the 3d Carveing price, and they wanted more options, it's made up of several pieces I can pull off of the flourish and ornaments set from VA3D which I already own, I guess I'll see if I can find matching 2d, thanks.
Aspire 2.0
Biesse Rover A 3.30
Biessworks
PC/Mac Draft
AutoCad
AutoDesk Inventor
Trumpf

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

I'm not sure what you mean.....

You showed them a 3D carving and the price is too high so they want the same picture V-Carved instead?
Have you thought about tracing the photo of the relieft panel they gave you to get a useful set of vectors for V-Carving. The V-Carving is never going to look anything like the 2.5d no matter what you do, hope they understand this. Would probably take a bit of editing and hand tracing to get it done up.

OR

They gave you a photo of a panel and it is too expensive to get a 3D model made from it?
You said you have Aspire, is it too expensive based upon the time it will take you to create the model. Maybe you can have VA3D make it and you reduce the price you pass on to the customer if you think you will use the design again and hence spread the cost of the creation over a number of jobs.

OR

The price to buy all the elements for the door panel is too high?
Again as above, is it possible to spread the purchase price over future anticipated earnings instead of just this one job.