Which style model to buy?

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

zeeway
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Self-built

Which style model to buy?

Post by zeeway »

I am slowly talking myself into trying some of the 3D models. As I look over the catalog, I get a little confused over the styles. Seems to me the dish style could be used with a bit of creativity to accomplish the other styles as well. I would appreciate any comments to help my understanding.

Thanks,
Angie

spinningwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Taig Mill and Self Built Routers

Re: Which style model to buy?

Post by spinningwood »

I puzzled over the same question. It seemed to me that with a program like aspire you wouldn't need anything other than the "regular" model. You can easily add a dish to any model with Aspire. A recess style might take a little more time than a dish, but not enough to be worth (to me) purchasing in addition to the regular model.

Maybe I'm missing something....

Ed

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Ed,

You are correct regarding Aspire but I think Angie has V-Carve Pro.

Angie,

I don't think there is an easy answer to your question that will fit all projects and all models. To use a 3D model in a VCP designed project you will need to prepare it with either VectorArt's 3D Machinist program or Cut3D. You then import the toolpaths for the model into VCP where you are then limited with what changes you can make.

If you could supply more detail for what you think you want to do, someone may be able to be more specific.

Tim

zeeway
Vectric Wizard

Post by zeeway »

Tim, yes, I have VCarve Pro. For my first 3D project I was thinking of making a ceiling medallion with little cherubs looking down. So I am thinking I could use the dish model, and profile cut the figures out and apply them on top of the medallion. Then if I want to make a box with a dish version, I have that too. I don't know where I would ever use the recessed version. So does this make sense, or am I missing the boat in my thinking?

Angie

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Angie,

Yes, you could easily do the ceiling medallion like you describe. You would have to machine the dish each time, but that would be one of the trade-offs. If you haven't caught it yet, VectorArt3D offers a .eps outline file for each model and you could use this for your cutout profile. You can also use this outline with the Auto Inlay tool if you want to use the software to position everything during the design phase. I'm thinking a shallow 1/16" - 1/8" pocket just to help position them and hold them in place while the glue dries.

I would also recommend purchasing the models in .v3m format. You get better detail and it allows using the free 3D Machinist program if you don't have Cut3D.

Tim

zeeway
Vectric Wizard

Post by zeeway »

Thanks for the help, Tim. I will give that a go.

Angie

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

angie

for me the "A" version worked well.. with cut2d i could make surrunding areas objects around..

to separate part of a model without aspire, very tedeious work.. but placing your A type model in your project relatively simple... with model you can download their contur and using that contur you can position and making pockets that accomodate the model...

http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 79&p=36006&

viktor