Running two 3D files together..

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

tgm
Vectric Craftsman

Running two 3D files together..

Post by tgm »

Well, after buying and running a boat load of files I have finally run into a stumbling block. I just purchased the style B dished Panda Bear relief along with the rope border design. I want to run the Panda within the rope border and then cut it out along the outside perimeter of the rope. I think I just set up the rope border file and then import in the Panda. Am I correct??
When I went to cutout the rope profile it cuts both inside and outside of the rope ruining the part.
Am I approaching this correctly?? I am not in the shop for the holidays so I am running blind right now.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Holidays to all forum members and support staff.
Cheers,

Tom in PA

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Re: Running two 3D files together..

Post by CRFultz »

tgm wrote:Well, after buying and running a boat load of files I have finally run into a stumbling block. I just purchased the style B dished Panda Bear relief along with the rope border design. I want to run the Panda within the rope border and then cut it out along the outside perimeter of the rope. I think I just set up the rope border file and then import in the Panda. Am I correct??
When I went to cutout the rope profile it cuts both inside and outside of the rope ruining the part.
Am I approaching this correctly?? I am not in the shop for the holidays so I am running blind right now.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Holidays to all forum members and support staff.
Cheers,

Tom in PA
Tom if you run the rope border first and then use a start depth on your panda at the max depth of your rope.
i think that will work...

for example...max depth of the rope is .25...then the start depth of the panda is .25...

is that what your looking for?

Chuck
Attachments
mule_rope.jpg
(84.41 KiB) Downloaded 372 times

tgm
Vectric Craftsman

Post by tgm »

Chuck,

If the max depth on the rope is .25 and I start the panda relief at that depth that takes care of the inside but how do I cut thru a 3/4" plate?? If I program the cutout of the rope at for a 3/4" depth won't that also screw up the inside path where the relief is?
I see no where that I can adjust the depths independently and the reliefs as you buy them do not come with an outline vector that could be used to create a seperate profiling path. That would be the ticket.
Am I all wet??

Thanks for the reply Chuck...

Tom in PA

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

tgm wrote:Chuck,

If the max depth on the rope is .25 and I start the panda relief at that depth that takes care of the inside but how do I cut thru a 3/4" plate?? If I program the cutout of the rope at for a 3/4" depth won't that also screw up the inside path where the relief is?
I see no where that I can adjust the depths independently and the reliefs as you buy them do not come with an outline vector that could be used to create a seperate profiling path. That would be the ticket.
Am I all wet??

Thanks for the reply Chuck...

Tom in PA
To cut out the outer perimeter of the rope just select the rope and offset inwards by .001

Then move the rope out of the way and delete the inner perimeter vector. now you have a vector that you can cut.

Hope thats what your wanting

The screenshots are in reverse...
Chuck
Attachments
ScreenShot_3.jpg
(136.62 KiB) Downloaded 378 times
ScreenShot_2.jpg
(102.01 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
ScreenShot_1.jpg
(98.77 KiB) Downloaded 365 times

tgm
Vectric Craftsman

Post by tgm »

Chuck,

That is exactly what I was looking for. I would have worked for hours on that one.
I ran the part and it worked perfectly.

Thanks a bunch,
Have a good Holiday today,

Regards,

Tom in PA