vector art 3d machinist wont import to partworks

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

kennyg

vector art 3d machinist wont import to partworks

Post by kennyg »

loaded VA3D format model into VA3D machinist (v 1.205) for sizing, on panel 2 I sized the model and set zzero thickness to match the final thickness of the stock I will be carving. On panel 3 I created a roughing toolpath and panel 4 created a finishing toolpath. Not sure the post processor value matters but since I have a shopbot buddy standard the field is set to ShopBot (arcs)(inch) (*.sbp) I click on the Save V3M for VCarve Pro / Cut2d button and create a unique file name, the only option for Save as type is VectorArt 3D Machinist Files (*.v3m)

I start partworks (v1.102) and click create a new file. I specify the width and height of the stock and match the thickness to the thickness specified in machinist. I click OK and try to import vectors from a file, I select the folder that was used in machinist and select the file created in machinist and get the error
Failed to import toolpaths
Failed to load toolpath data from file
C:\folder\folder...\filename_C-TP.v3m
Check that the file contains toolpaths

I have tried and retried this process on several different models all failing with the same error message.

Please help!!

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Re: vector art 3d machinist wont import to partworks

Post by JamesB »

Hello Kenny,

Sorry for the issue with importing from the current version of VA3D Machinist to PartWorks. I am afraid this version of Machinist (1.205) only works with VCarve Pro 5.5. I am not sure if there is an equivalent version of PartWorks or not that would work? If you want to send me an email I can send you a link to download the older version of Machinist and you can use that. My email is jab (at) carve3d ( d o t) com.

Thanks
James

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: vector art 3d machinist wont import to partworks

Post by Adrian »

Partworks 2.5 is the equivalent for VCarve 5.5