Mold making with Vector Art 3D

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Mold making with Vector Art 3D

Post by JamesB »

As its been recently discussed on a couple of threads I thought I would write a quick comment on the prohibition of using Vector Art 3D models for moldmaking/casting etc.

Vector Art 3D do not allow the use of the website models for making a production device and making many copies from it. We do allow in the license for making a master and producing one or two copies of it for say a bronze plaque, concrete mold etc. However if you wanted to make more than one or two from the original you would need to contact us to get permission with detail of the planned use and intended volume.

The idea behind this is to protect our artists and ourselves from someone abusing the low cost of a model to make a lot of copies. There is no limit on how many times you use a model if you are CNC carving it each time you make it.

There is no limit as far as I know though on using any Vectric software to make molds, dies etc. if you are creating all the model yourself and not using a VA3D model (or an edited part of one) or one of the 50 models that is included with Aspire which are also governed by our standard license agreement.

Hope this helps, feel free to post questions on this here or requests for clarification so we don't clog up other posts.

cheers,
James

cabnet636
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster 508 ATC

Re: Mold making with Vector Art 3D

Post by cabnet636 »

thanks james, that is how i understand the license.

jim mcgrew
James McGrew
http://www.mcgrewwoodwork.com
CAMaster ATC 508 24/7 http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

Sk8nmike
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD and Multicam

Post by Sk8nmike »

I haven't read through the license, Not really into mold making..... But

What's the difference in making 50 copies of a pattern on a cnc vs making 1 mold and pouring 50 copies. In example making a repeating object to decorate my wall. The end result would be the same.

sailfl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: MechMate

Post by sailfl »

It seems to me the difference is that you make the model you can do what you want with it but if you are buying a model, you have to follow what the agreement of the company or person that has sold you the model.

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Sk8nmike, the end result would be the same but it would be much quicker to do. In reality our license is not designed to stop people making things for themselves. It is mainly intended to stop someone mass-producing one of our models and selling it without the artist getting rewarded for it. The problem is, as soon as you start adding caveats and clauses to a license it becomes incredibly complicated. As such we settled on something which is more straightforward and fits what we intend people to do with the models and what suits most of our customers.

Cheers,
James