inverting clip art

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

j.r.teichman

inverting clip art

Post by j.r.teichman »

is there a way to invert vector art files to enable them to be used as molds i have a need for some candy molds using wildlife scenes from James.

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: inverting clip art

Post by tmerrill »

Unfortunately, if you read the license agreement the use of the models to make molds is not allowed without specific permission. James is a great person and I wouldn't hesitate to contact him to discuss.

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Tim's right the license does not allow the use of our models for creating molds. If you want to discuss this with me then drop me an email jab ( a t ) carve3d ( d o t ) com

Thanks,
James

pma32904

Post by pma32904 »

I'm wondering if clip art can be inverted also. I don't need to make a mold, instead I need to make something that looks like the inside of a scallop shell. Although it would not be anatomically correct (nor the correct shape), I was thinking that having the shell inverted with respect to the surface of the wood might do the trick.

Any thoughts?

Also, I don;t have Aspire, so I would be trying to do this with the free Vector Art 3D tools. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Paul

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Paul,

Aspire would be the tool you need. With either Cut3D or VectorArt3D's Machinist program you can only machine the model as it is, with the exception of sizing.

Tim

pma32904

Post by pma32904 »

Tim,

Thanks for the quick response! So, I assume sizing in the Z dimension by a negative number is not allowed? (I haven't tried it yet.)

Edit - Now that I've thought about the tool paths for a few minutes, it appears just inverting the Gcode would not work either. So much to learn. Guess I'll aspire to own Aspire some day...

Paul
Last edited by pma32904 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard

Post by tmerrill »

That's correct.

I thought that was the case, but to be sure I just tried it in both programs.

pma32904

Post by pma32904 »

Tim,

Again, thanks for your quick response! I enjoy reading your information through out the forums.

Paul

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

pma

classic way to multiply by -1 the Z is working... before cad-cam programs people usedit..
if you have gcode editor, or you were exppert of gcode you can do it.. even with notepad.. and calculator...
sure on the start and on end the Z remain positiv value, same as in the rapidmovement too

viktor

the free machinist one of the best program from vectric...

pma32904

Post by pma32904 »

Viktor,

I guess there is always a way, if you try hard enough. :idea:

Thanks, Paul (pma)

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

pma

i think you are on same way like me, because you asked about it..
this is your post...

Edit - Now that I've thought about the tool paths for a few minutes, it appears just inverting the Gcode would not work either. So much to learn. Guess I'll aspire to own Aspire some day...

so i just answered for...
these programs made by vectric, all of them is very great, easy to use and they are this time the fastest... (im my opinion)
but before a while were not exist any, cad-cam... some process from that time still works great...

viktor

pma32904

Post by pma32904 »

Victor,

Yes, although the Vectric tools are great, sometimes we have to use the old ways (because we do not have the latest tool or we do not know how to use the tool.)

The reason I thought that simply inverting the Gcode Z won't work, is that there may be some area surrounding the carved item that is not handled in the Gcode. Such as the area outside a dished pattern (shows as x below). One would have to create gcode to mill the outer area flat, then run the dished pattern with Z dimensions inverted. I think this would produce an upward dome with the actual shape below the dome. (If the ascii-gram below does not look right, if may need to be viewed using Courier or some other fixed width font.)

x_/|shape|\_x
|___wood___|

Paul

david_r

Post by david_r »

Just a thought.
What about exporting a model into grayscale bitmap, invert colours, make a new model from grayscale bitmap?

I didn't try it, don't know if it works, just got an idea while reading this topic: http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5239

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hi paul

yes it is an interesting question...
thinking on we can use only the free machinist, and a simple g code editor... it would be very tedeious...
actually i was thinking only on the full model...in a flat surrunding area... a dish, would require to finding the borderpoints...
but even i like the difficult tasks, it already would be too much for me :-)

otherwise to separate a model in aspire also makes difficulties... the only real help, the cursor shows the actual height where you pointing... and with this help you can match a contur...

i'm glad to see there are out more people who lkes to thinking on these... even if it is virtual...

thank you
viktor

for david solution, need atleast a good bitmapeditor... with basic windows tools (like paint) not possible..

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

pma...

almost forget about a special feature of vectric programs... and this really makes very useful all...
to editing the postprocessor... there's a guide for editing the postprocessor that write the gcode out of all vectric program...
with that you can set the z output as multiplied by -1... so your model will be inverted without any third program... and it works with free machinist too...

viktor