a what if question

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

a what if question

Post by CRFultz »

what would happen if I cut a 3d graphic in reverse?

instead of the graphic standing proud on the surface...lets say I wanted it to be recessed...as anyony one tried this...is it possible by reversing the direction of my z and using the spoil board surface as my z axis zero?

just wondering....i ain't got the guts to try it and see...

Chuck

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Hi Chuck,

Reversing the toolpath in Z wont cut a 'proper' cavity from a 3D model. If cutting the 'male' the tool needs to be offset to the outside of the surface. If cutting a 'female' the tool needs to be offset to the inside. Also the roughing toolpaths would not be anywhere near correct if simply inverted.

Cheers

Brian

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

BrianM wrote:Hi Chuck,

Reversing the toolpath in Z wont cut a 'proper' cavity from a 3D model. If cutting the 'male' the tool needs to be offset to the outside of the surface. If cutting a 'female' the tool needs to be offset to the inside. Also the roughing toolpaths would not be anywhere near correct if simply inverted.

Cheers

Brian
So I guess your saying it has to be redrawn or recadded or re something....James can you do this....or can i do this with the proper software...
I need the "female" version of one of your graphics.

Chuck

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Chuck,
I can do it here - I'll email you off the forum.
Thanks,
James