How to cut jobs bigger then the table size

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

vibe27

How to cut jobs bigger then the table size

Post by vibe27 »

Hi,
How to cut jobs bigger then the table size. Is there a way to set work up to cut art larger then the table. And I'm talking about the length. Any thoughts?
My cutting area is 12"x19" and I want to do a vectorart3d file 12"x36".
I own Vcarvepro 5.0, Cut3d and vector 3d machinist.

Hope to read you ASAP.
Thank you
Gilles

DanielBEE
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: n/a

Re: How to cut jobs bigger then the table size

Post by DanielBEE »

I'm not sure if this is possible in VCarve or Cut3d, but this is what I would do in Aspire.

1. Have the full component in 12x36.
2. Copy component into the working model.
3. Hide the component.
4. Make a rectangle 12x19 (or 12x18, whever you want to split up the model).
5. Justify the rectangle to the left side of the model.
6. Clear the working mdoel outside the vector.
7. Create a component from the working model.
8. Change the model size to fit around the rectangle.
9. Save as File-Left
10. Repeat for the right, except of course Justify to the right.

Hope that makes sense and would work for you!

-Dan
Aspire 2.0
Biesse Rover A 3.30
Biessworks
PC/Mac Draft
AutoCad
AutoDesk Inventor
Trumpf

ManitobaKeith
Vectric Wizard

Post by ManitobaKeith »

Keith
It is not only what we do,but also what we do not do,for which we are accountable-Jean Moliere

pro70z28
Vectric Craftsman

Post by pro70z28 »

Back in the early days when I had a 4'x4' table I would design a 4'x8' sign, cut the sign in half & weld all the open paths together. Then I would add 1/4" registration holes outside the sign area at the 4' mark of the sign. I'd then router the first 1/2 of the sign & drill the 1/4" registration holes. I'd then slide the sign over 4'. Then I'd send a file to re-drill the registration holes. As soon as the router stopped but before the "Z" axis dropped I would pause the router and run the bit down lining it up with the hole manually. (That router had a knob that allowed me to manually crank the "Z" axis up & down even when the router was running a file). Once I had the bit lined up with the registration hole, I'd manually raise the bit & restart the file. When the router headed for the second registration hole I'd run a screw down the first hole to secure it to the sacrifice board. I'd then do the same operation over the second hole & run a screw down that hole when the router headed back to home. 99% of the time that would give me a perfect registration of the two halves.
Since then I now have a 4'x8' (but have used the same process to cut signs over 4'x8'. It's an effective way to cut oversized signs from a single piece of material. Aspire sure made cutting the model into smaller pieces easy compared to the old days. 8)