Sanding

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

MikieOh

Sanding

Post by MikieOh »

I recently tried the sample 3D Carvings on my router and was quite impressed. I followed the directions on the web site and used the free version of 3D machinist to generate my G-Code. The only problem was the raster lines left behind. They were small, but quite visible. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can reduce the raster lines or an effective way to sand them out? Thanks.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Does anyone have suggestions on how I can reduce the raster lines or an effective way to sand them out?
Reduce the stepover on the finish pass. A stepover of 10% or less should work.

MikieOh

Post by MikieOh »

I used a 10% stepover. The raster lines were quite small and I may be getting too picky.

Kimon
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Kimon »

What size finishing bit did you use and was it a ball nose? How about posting a pic

Gene Rhodes

Post by Gene Rhodes »

Hi MikieOH,
3M makes what they call a bristle disk for sanding fine detailed work.
They actually have grit impregnated in the disk fingers. I have used them on an end type die grinder slowed down and they work good.
They will not take away from the detail in the wood.
Good luck and i hope this helps
Gene

Jeff Guinn

Post by Jeff Guinn »

Gene,
What diameter & grit gives you the best results on fine detail & 3D.
Thanks, Jeff

Gene Rhodes

Post by Gene Rhodes »

I usually use a 80 grit and a 120 grit. They are not as abrasive as they may sound so dont be afraid to try the 80 grit first. I use them sanding a groove cut in mdf cabinet doors . they will not round corners over unless you realy try to. they are called bristle disk . the dimensions are 3/8" hole in the center with a 3" outside dim. the 3M # for the white 120 grit disc is 30127 and the yellow 80 grit is 3M # 30126. They are a bit pricey but they do last a good long time unless you realy put alot too much pressure on them . I have been satisfied with the way they work. I dont know if they will still do it or not but when i was told about them by a 3 M rep they sent me a few to try free . Check with 3M and see. The most they can do is say no. Hope this helps Gene

Jeff Guinn

Post by Jeff Guinn »

Thanks for the info.