Re-Sizing

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

Rusty
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt

Re-Sizing

Post by Rusty »

Hi all:
If I design something in VA 3D then save & then move to VCarve is it then possible to re-size the VA 3D import picture to suit the design in VCarve or do I continually need to go back & forth & re-size in VA 3D?
When do my submission I had a hard time getting the two pictures to work together (size wise)
Thanks.
Rusty

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Rusty, you should not re-size it in VCPro because by then it is a 3D toolpath rather than a model - if you changed the size it would not machine correctly. My best suggestion would be to create a simple shape in VCPro which roughly corresponds to the shape of your 3D element and position and size that - make a note of the size when it looks good. Then you can use its size to set up the part in Machinist so it is right first time when you import it. Alternately if you import the file and find it is the wrong size then you can offset the outer vector of the Machinist preview (in VCPro) by a small amount (0.01 inch for example) and size that offset to find the optimum size then you only have to do the re-size once in Machinist. Hope this helps.
Thanks, James

Rusty
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuilt

Post by Rusty »

Thanks James:
I understand some of what you are trying to explain, I quess I will just have to play a bit to fully understand your plan.
It would be great if these two programs could work a little more synergetically with each other so one could go back & forth in the design process. I did notice that VA3D would fall back to metric, which really messed with me. Is there a way to have VA3D default to inches & stay that way?
Thanks.
Rusty