How do you organize your 3D clip art files?

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

How do you organize your 3D clip art files?

Post by Rcnewcomb »

As your 3D collection grows what methods do you use to organize your files so you find the design you want? I now have over 400 3D files, most of them purchased and a few that I made, and it can be daunting to quickly find what I am looking for and browsing is much slower.

One of the things that I like about the Design and Carve Series is that James created files such as All-Animals and All-Scenery. I've contemplated doing this with the rest of my designs.

What do you do?
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Re: How do you organize your 3D clip art files?

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Randall,

For now I have them in sub-directories based on the collection name, such as VA3D Animal Collection, Aspire 3D Clip Art, etc. Then I keep a printout for each collection by my computer. For the individual ones I have downloaded and for those I created, I just try to give them a descriptive name and sort them by subject, such as Animals, Nautical or Home Improvement.

But like you, as the collection grows it is getting harder to stay organized. We sure could use some type of previewer/organizer.

What James did with the All Animals and All Scenery is a tremendous time saver. Preparing and maintaining something similar with a growing 3D collection would probably create problems on its own.

Tim

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSAlpha 96x60

Post by ssflyer »

Hi Randall,

I separate mine by categories and sub-categories in the file system. This makes it easier to browse. I also further separate by 2D and 3D files, and create images of the models/projects, with the same name, so I can, at a glance see which is which. I've also installed the newer Windows Search (I hated the old one - too slow and too many computer resources) I use it a lot. Fast search, and thumbnail previews.

Ron
Ron Sloan

tmerrill
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot

Post by tmerrill »

Ron,

I assume the windows search previews the images you have made, not the 2D/3D file formats directly?

Tim

ssflyer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRSAlpha 96x60

Post by ssflyer »

Tim,

Yep. I wish I had Explorer add-ins to preview all my file types! :shock:
Ron Sloan

js11110
Vectric Wizard

Post by js11110 »

One thing that I STARTED to do awhile ago but never finished was to create a preview .jpg and name it the same as the 3D file and put it in the same directory. This way with Windows file view you can see what is what. HUGE task if you have alot of files.........

Jason
The Official Vectric Cartographer

You are limited only by your imagination

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

js11110 wrote:One thing that I STARTED to do awhile ago but never finished was to create a preview .jpg and name it the same as the 3D file and put it in the same directory. This way with Windows file view you can see what is what. HUGE task if you have alot of files.........

Jason
I cheated and wrote a macro with AutoIt3 that uses Aspire and Cut3D (Partworks in my case) to loop though all my files and save a preview.