lengthy program runs

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

NormanAlbert
Vectric Wizard

lengthy program runs

Post by NormanAlbert »

Hi One and all: Got a question about what to do with lengthy program runs. Can one pause a run overnight without problems? I can't believe that someone would leave a machine running unattended for any amount of time. Any hints?

metalworkz
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: SX3 CNC, DIY 24x20 & 48x60 routers

Re: lengthy program runs

Post by metalworkz »

Hi Norm,
I don't like to stop my programs unless it is absolutely necessary. If you are using Mach3 you can restart from the line number that you stop at, and it has worked good for me the several times I needed to use the option. You can find more in depth information on using this feature on the Mach support site if you are using Mach3. I am not familiar with all the other controllers being used as far as restarting of an unfinished toolpath goes.
I try to plan the work I want to get done so that it fits in my available time frame, and the time estimates in the Vectric programs is a big help(you can also tweak the estimates in the software to get them very close to actual machine time).
The 3D toolpaths can be very time intensive, and I don't think it is a very good idea to stop them and try to start over the next day as there may always be some mismatch etc.
You can plan your toolpaths to a certain extent to have shorter run times if needed by breaking the work up into several steps instead of the full depth, but that is not always the best idea either. It is probably best not to start it unless you can finish it. Maybe someone else with have some better advice.
Best regards,
Wes
wes.spence@comcast.net
Gingery Machines:
Lathe, Horiz. Mill, Shaper, Leaf Brake

capnl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Heiz Z-1000

Post by capnl »

hello Norm,

I do agree with Wes, if it is not absolutely necessary do not let your machines run unattended, I have done that in the past until 2 days ago when I went home for dinner and returning 2 hours later finding my machine almost on fire and my workshop filled with smoke !!!,
Something went wrong causing the tool to plunge deep into the workpiece and the baseboard causing heat to build-up and almost causing fire..........

Since then, I will never leave my machine running when I leave the workshop for a longer period of time.

Working with WINpc-nc to control my machine I just simply 'pause' the execution of the program which causes the routermotor to stop and the XYZ axis free to move around if needed.
When I return to the workshop I continue the execution of the program and the machine will start the routermotor and continue where I had stopped it before.
In this way only the pc and the controlbox will remain 'on power'.

Another way to prevent the need for longer machining time (unattended) is to cut the size of the toolpaths into pieces that can be worked in a days time, sometimes is comes in handy when one puts all toolpaths for similar size tools together in one file, sometimes it is not so handy.........

Good luck

John van Gent
DRW-Holland - The Netherlands
DRW-Holland
CNC-Step S-1000 machine 1000 x 590 x 110 mm
Aspire - VCarve Pro - Photo VCarve - Cut3D

cabnet636
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster 508 ATC

Post by cabnet636 »

think carefully before allowing a machine to run unattended!!

jim
Attachments
IMG_3894.JPG
James McGrew
http://www.mcgrewwoodwork.com
CAMaster ATC 508 24/7 http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Post by gravirozo »

hi

probably murphy's law working...
when you present, never wrong anything... when you leave, in the next minute...

also true, if you stop a 3d picture, even it's the best machine, on a finely detail it leaves a noticeable mark...
so on longer run need to be some plan.... keep next the machine...

swaggs21
Vectric Craftsman

Post by swaggs21 »

I use Mach 3 and just stop my machine, shut off the router and dc, come back the next day, turn everything on, and let it go. Never had a hiccup yet.

Once I am in the new house I will have an IP based camera in the shop so i can keep an eye on the machine if I do step out.
-Chris

The new woodworking site:
http://www.33degreeseastww.com