Pass Depth Ignored?

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

gscherer

Pass Depth Ignored?

Post by gscherer »

I am trying out the sample 3d art files. It seems no matter what I select as the pass depth for a tool it cuts the entire piece in one pass. My first real carving was into mdf at .125 total depth for the 3d art. I was using a 1/16 ballnose. I plunged the bit all the way in. I have the pass depth set at .0312.

I found the same issue in VCP with making a pocket. It cut the entire depth in one pass and ignored the settings in the tool database.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
Gary

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Re: Pass Depth Ignored?

Post by JamesB »

Greg, the pass-depth only applies on the roughing. When finishing the idea is to have already cleared away enough material so that it can be cleared in a single pass.
Thanks,
James

gscherer

Re: Pass Depth Ignored?

Post by gscherer »

Sorry for the dopey question. I realize that now. I dont have a bigger bit to do the roughing pass right now. Thats why I was trying it with the finish pass only. I have some bits on order and should have them by the weekend.
I already redid the toolpaths with a rough and finish pass and imported them into VCP. Should work out perfectly with the new bits.

Gary
JamesB wrote:Greg, the pass-depth only applies on the roughing. When finishing the idea is to have already cleared away enough material so that it can be cleared in a single pass.
Thanks,
James