Our Lady of Guadalupe

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

lovebugjunkie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Romaxx HS1

Our Lady of Guadalupe

Post by lovebugjunkie »

When I load the model “Our Lady of Guadalupe” into 3D Machinist the detail is incredible. I was wondering what the setting would be to get this detail. I have been doing test examples with 1/8 ball noise but think I may need a smaller bit.

Any other setting "tips" would also be appreciated.

thanks
george

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Hi George,

its a tough questions to answer because it involves a mixture of tooling, material, size of the part, machine settings etc.etc.

The easy way to determine the right settings is to set the part to the size you want to carve it (this should be as large as possible so that it still works for your project). Get as much depth as possible (without it looking odd) to maximize the Z contrast. Then create a toolpath with the tool you would like to use and look at the preview. If the preview does not achieve the detail or finish you are looking for then you need to use smaller tools and/or change settings like the step-over. Make the changes in the software until you are happy with the preview part's quality.

Once the preview looks good then that is as much as you can do with the software. After that the quality of tooling, density of material and accuracy of your machine will determine whether the finished part looks as good. Generally though if the preview looks OK the finished part should too.

Cheers,
James

lovebugjunkie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Romaxx HS1

Post by lovebugjunkie »

Thanks James,

I think my problem was not giving it enough Z depth.

thanks again
george