Website problem or virus???

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot prt with 4g upgrade

Post by calgrdnr »

After reading Rcnewcombs response I decided to try LBJ's suggestion I installed Firefox . it worked with Firefox , then I installed IE7 ( Hate IE7 and not to fond of Firefox) and it worked there also.
I uninstalled IE7 back to IE6 it is still redirected when using IE6 .

I tried to removed IE6 and reinstall but of course it kept all the settings :( I will try again tommorrow .

Joe are you using IE6 ?

BrianM
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: A few ...

Post by BrianM »

Having a search on the internet, found this article.

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/07/03/1411254

The problem seems to stem from AVG (an anti-virus software company) impersonating an IE6 browser while checking sites which appear in google searches. This has apparently led to an enormous increase in traffic for some web sites, so the response by some has been to redirect the traffic to AVG. Obviously some sites are not redirecting it correctly hence the problem for 'normal' IE 6 users.

If this is being done by the hosting company for VectorArt3D, I am pretty sure that it was not a decision taken by VectorArt3D themselves.

Brian

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

It looks like the web masters hosting the VectorArt3D site have implemented the redirector and it is incorrectly redirecting IE 6.

If you use a search engine (Google, GoodSearch, etc.) to look for Vector Art 3D and click on that link it seems to work: URL using GoodSearch

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

We are looking into this now and will let you know what we find out later today.

Thanks,
James

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Here is a reponse from our web guys:
-------------
When AVG users perform a search in Google (or other search engines), AVG (an anti-virus program) masquerades as Internet Explorer 6.0 and performs a HEAD request and then a full GET request of all of the results that are returned. This not only skews statistical reporting, it also results in unnecessary high bandwidth and CPU usage.

We currently block 128 user agents identified as automated programs (like a spam filter), but AVG was falsifying their user-agent and spidering the website even if someone didn't choose to go to the website.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/26 ... ic_as_ie6/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/02 ... orary_fix/

The issue should be fixed now and I have tested being able to traverse all filtered websites using an emulated version of IE6.
------------

If those having a problem can have another test for me to make sure we have sorted it out that would be great?

Thanks,
James

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

calgrdnr wrote:After reading Rcnewcombs response I decided to try LBJ's suggestion I installed Firefox . it worked with Firefox , then I installed IE7 ( Hate IE7 and not to fond of Firefox) and it worked there also.
I uninstalled IE7 back to IE6 it is still redirected when using IE6 .

I tried to removed IE6 and reinstall but of course it kept all the settings :( I will try again tommorrow .

Joe are you using IE6 ?
Im confused.......you installed Firefox, I understand that far, then it gets strange....after installing Firefox something obviously went terribly wrong...maybe I'm reading wrong....you "installed IE7" ???.....then it says (This must be a mistake) "...not too fond of Firefox" ??? ..... I dont get it? :? Can a moderator check the post, I think someone is hacking the site, I don't know anyone who wouldn't like Firefox! :D :lol:

calgrdnr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot prt with 4g upgrade

Post by calgrdnr »

Thanks James and Brian it works fine now . AVG removed my thread I guess they don't want to admit they are being a pain.

Mr.Box Yes I am a strange one . I find IE6 works for me better with dual screens then the browsers the masses seem to like. Maybe one day I will figure out how to use them like the rest of you .....

thanks again for all the help guys :D

GripUs
Vectric Wizard

Post by GripUs »

YES!!!!!I can now get to VectorArt3D!!! Thanks for all the help, guys...I was suffering severe VectorArt deprivation.

Joe
Ham and eggs - Inconvenient for the chicken. A total commitment for the pig.
http://www.gripus.com/