Question on EPS and Style A size

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

lovebugjunkie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Romaxx HS1

Question on EPS and Style A size

Post by lovebugjunkie »

I want to create a textured background for the Mermaid. If I use the EPS outline for it and scale it the same size as the Style A cutout will it fit in the EPS outline, or should I make the style A cutout a bit smaller or maybe offset the EPS.

Reason is when I look at the preview image from 3D machinist in VCP there is a pretty good difference even with both having the same x/y size.

In the image example below I want to inset a cutout of the Mermaid (Stype A).

Sorry for the simple question, this is the first time I have tried anything like this.
Thanks
George
Attachments
mermaid-background.gif

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

HI George,

I have not tried this and will take a look later today specifically at your example and comment with better info. My instinct is that you will need to offset the eps outwards (assuming they are both sizes and positioned correctly) by at least the tool radius to keep the texturing tool from cutting into the actual part. More info in an hour or two once I can take a look. Cheers,
James

JamesB
Vectric Alumni

Post by JamesB »

George,
I took a look at the actual file and my earlier suggestion is correct. First set the vectors to the same size and position that you made the 3D file. I tested this and they do line up perfectly. One you have these then to create the boundary for the texture toolpath offset the vector by a value near to the tool radius. I used the tool rad and got a little extra leeway so you may be able to go less - use the preview to test this. You can see the image of my result below. Any questions on this please let me know?
Thanks,
James
Attachments
mermaid.jpg

lovebugjunkie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Romaxx HS1

Post by lovebugjunkie »

Hello James

Thanks for the quick response. Your example is exactly what I want to do.

thanks again
george

JamesB
Vectric Alumni

Post by JamesB »

Some additional info: for the example shown above I made the mermaid 12 inches high and 0.75 inches deep. The depth was important because when I brought the V3M with the toolpath into VCP I created a Pocket toolpath to a depth of 0.75 inches using the edge vectors of the mermaid and my square. Then I offset the vectors for the texture toolpath using a Start Depth in the Texture toolpath also of 0.75 inches so it would line up with the base of the pocket and the bottom of the 3D part of the Mermaid. Just thought this may help if someone was looking and wondered how the area around the mermaid was cleared out.

Thanks,
James