cutting dished part only

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

jseiler
Vectric Craftsman

cutting dished part only

Post by jseiler »

I bought this model in dished version b:

http://www.vectorart3d.com/store/index. ... l&ID=50143

I wanted to make the circular part 5x5" carved into a 7'x7" piece. When I did this, cut3d rastered outside the dished area making it a little wavy outside that area, which I had to sand away. It would save me some sanding if it didn't machine outside of the dished area at all. Is there a way to do this?

Ultimately, I'd like to inset the dished area a little further in, but if it machines outside the dished area, this is really impossible.

John

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Hi John,
I think there have been some other threads about this but to explain: Our STL models have an included rectangle. This originally was done because a number of software packages machine to a rectangle and so we wanted to make sure they could use the dished and recessed files. Cut3D always wants to cut this full area. The V3M format models we have on the site have a built in border and will work with Cut3D they will only machine the dished part of the model. So I would suggest trying them. For your convenience I have added the V3M format to the files you bought in your account so if you login and go to View Purchase History you can request a new download email with this format in it.

Any questions please let me know?
Thanks,
James

jseiler
Vectric Craftsman

Post by jseiler »

Thanks for acting on this so quickly! :) I downloaded the new files without a hitch, but haven't tried toolpathing them yet. I'll post back if I have any further questions. Hey, btw, with the long celtic knot I ordered, it would be nice if there were a square version (thinking corner finishing), one with unjoined end(s), and a corner (90 degree) connector version for making knots that go around corners and of unlimited length.

thanks again,
John

JamesB
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: Exel CNC SL60/90 Pro

Post by JamesB »

Hi John, thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them in the next couple of weeks.
Cheers,
James