completely cut out 3d part

This forum is for general discussion about Aspire
ronnierozier2
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Avid PRO4896

completely cut out 3d part

Post by ronnierozier2 »

Hey all,

I have a question about how a 3d carving can completely be cut out so it can be placed on another sign? The look im trying to achieve is making it appear that the 3d object was carved from the same piece im placing it on. For example, if my 3d relief is a duck what I would do is draw a makeshift pattern around the 3d object and set the 3d rough and ball pass..... not sure how to say set a few tabs so it can be cleaned up with a little sanding and glued or whatever to the sign?

Ms Wolffie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Blue Elephant 1325, Shark HD Pro

Re: completely cut out 3d part

Post by Ms Wolffie »

Do a profile cut around it and set it deep enough to cut out.
Cheers
Wolffie
Cheers
Wolffie

Whatshammacallit
Cut3D, VCarvePro 6.5, Aspire4, PhotoVCarve, Corel Graphics Suite X6

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

There are at least 2 ways you can go about that.
One is to actually carve the object out of the material, and leave the material for a backing, like one I did pictured below.
This is often called the "standing proud" style, and is a favorite of mine ,,, But obviously would not work if you are thinking of gluing to a metal sign, or of the contemplated sign is rather large.
Another, you can cut out the outline of any 3D shape by assigning a vector boundary around it, and using that for a profile cut-out. If you material was .50 thick, you'd simply set you profile depth for .50, and depending how accurate your machine is, should cut right out at the table.

Doug

ronnierozier2
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Avid PRO4896

Post by ronnierozier2 »

Thanks guys for the information, im going to try it in a few minutes and see what happens.

Your standing proud carving is absolutely beautiful. I would love to do one like that. I'm donating a basic 2d wooden sign for a friend of mine for his church, I would like to also do something like that for him.

MERRY CHRISTMAS MY FRIEND !!!!

[quote="Xxray"]There are at least 2 ways you can go about that.
One is to actually carve the object out of the material, and leave the material for a backing, like one I did pictured below.
This is often called the "standing proud" style, and is a favorite of mine ,,, But obviously would not work if you are thinking of gluing to a metal sign, or of the contemplated sign is rather large.
Another, you can cut out the outline of any 3D shape by assigning a vector boundary around it, and using that for a profile cut-out. If you material was .50 thick, you'd simply set you profile depth for .50, and depending how accurate your machine is, should cut right out at the table.

rscrawford
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Cobra 408 ATC, ShopSabre IS408

Post by rscrawford »

There is a tool in the modelling tab that will create a boundary vector around a model. You can use this and do a profile cut around your model, using tabs. This will only work if there is a gap between your model and the bottom of your workpiece.

If you don't want that extra thickness, then you will need to model some tabs that stick out in 'easy to sand off' areas of your model. Just draw a small rectangle that sticks partway into your model in each area you want a tab, then using the 'create shape from vectors' tool and create a flat top shape with a base thickness the height you want your tab (you can make these tabs fairly small - I make mine 1/8" wide by 1/16" high so they are easy to remove). Set these tabs to merge with your model. Then just cut your finish toolpath and it will leave your tabs.

I like to raise the base of my model up by the depth of the radius of my ballnose bit so that when I cut it I want won't have the radius edge all around it (I want the cutter to extend past the bottom of my model by the thickness of the radius of my cutter). Then I run the board upside down through my thickness sander to remove that extra thickness (before cutting the tabs off so the model will stay in place while I sand the bottom off).
Russell Crawford
http://www.cherryleaf-rustle.com

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Post by Xxray »

ronnierozier2 wrote:Thanks guys for the information, im going to try it in a few minutes and see what happens.

Your standing proud carving is absolutely beautiful. I would love to do one like that. I'm donating a basic 2d wooden sign for a friend of mine for his church, I would like to also do something like that for him.

MERRY CHRISTMAS MY FRIEND !!!!
"Standing proud" is pretty easy to do, but does take more machining time, as obviously it planes more surface that just the model.
You do them by selecting the entire work area, model and all. If your work area is, say, 10x8", you'd import your model into that ,,, But your actual work piece must be larger, for hold down purposes. I like to give 1" or so all the way around, so I'd need a workpiece of 11x9" to do a 10x8". [I do work with smaller margins, sometimes right up the the screws holding the piece down, but precision placement like this is an art form in itself, so best to allow yourself a little slack].
You then play around with the objects properties, adjusting its height and base height to your satisfaction, or you can just go with default. Run tool paths on the whole thing, check the preview, and you should end up with an object carved right out of the workpiece.

You can then either draw a box around the design and do a cutout profile with an endmill, or better yet, just cut off the waste with a table saw.
Doug

Joseph Raimondi
Model of CNC Machine: KL 6090

Post by Joseph Raimondi »

I am currently using v-carve pro 8. I have purchased the "Gecko" model from the Design Make Store. I bought all three options. When I set the tool paths and carve it the model detail itself looks great. However it does not cut all the way through. When I try to set a boundary it keeps telling me that I have to select at least one vector.

I need help. I am making 6 of these as Christmas Ornaments.

Thanks

Joe

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Create a boundary(see pic), and then select it for the Profile toolpath.
scott
Attachments
2018-12-12 13_06_00-.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Just to add to what Scott55 has said 3D models are pixel based which means that there are no vectors to select with a 3D model, that is why many of the toolpath types within the software won't work directly with a 3D model, adding vectors is needed if you want to be able to use some of the other toolpath types such as the profile toolpath you need to cut the 3D model out

eph210
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger 1 and Mabel, both with 4 axis

Post by eph210 »

The models from design and make are provided with a free eps vector outline of the model.
You can go to the page with your model on and click on the style A outline button and it will download to your computer.
Then, as has been said, you can use this vector to cut out the design.
Euan

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Scott,

That's a really nice model of the moon! Where did you get it? :lol: :lol: :lol:
John
Maker of Chips

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Had a friend I've never met from Texas make it for me in Aspire without me even begging :D
Seems like a nice guy....BUT we all know how easy it is to SEEM nice on the web!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sized for a Christmas ornament, but will have to wait for Next year:(
Thanks John!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.