Individual models and projects/collections

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

Doublestorm
Model of CNC Machine: Oliver Intellicarve

Individual models and projects/collections

Post by Doublestorm »

Hey gang!
Up until now I've purchased and used several of the individual models using Machinist to setup the file and generate the tool paths. I have Vcarve 7.5 and have been importing the files into VCarve and for some projects I've done and carving from there. I've been looking at a couple of the Collections as well as a couple sets from the Project Shop but I'm wondering would I be able to use those the same way as I have with the individual models in VCarve 7.5? My version doesn't allow me to make any changes/setup the files...just to import the tool paths and carve as-is. Does machinist open these files and would I just continue on the same way I have been with the individual models?

One of these days I may take the plunge and get the newest VCarve which allows complete set up and manipulation of the files right in VCarve...but not today. :(

Thanks!
DS

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: Individual models and projects/collections

Post by Leo »

Not completely sure what you are asking.

In machinist you create a toolpath file - G-Code. In V-carve you import that toolpath file. It really has nothing to do with Machinist at that point. It is only the resultant toolpath file that machinist created.

With that is mind, you can create as many toolpath files from machinist as you want and import into V-Carve.

Something I used to do was to create a Rough toolpath file to leave - say - .050 material. THEN- I would create a finish toolpath file with a coarse stepover, and I would set my tool about .01 higher than my Z zero - kinda like a semi-finish tool path. Last I would create a finish toolpath with a fine stepover - call that my "finish" tool path. I would set my cutter at Z zero.

You can import many toolpaths, even from different models.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Doublestorm
Model of CNC Machine: Oliver Intellicarve

Post by Doublestorm »

Yeah, I guess I didn't exactly explain it right:
Essentially, what I was asking is 'can I use the files from the Projects the same way as I use the individual models. Create the tool paths in Machinist then import into VCarve.'

Todd Bailey
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CraftCNC

Post by Todd Bailey »

Hello Doublestorm...

Yes, you can open the models from the projects into Machinist... but you can only create tooling for one model at a time. You won't be able to combine modes together, create a layout and then develop tooling right inside of Machinist. In order to do that you would need, at the minimum, VCarve Desktop.

Hope that helps!
------------------------------------
Todd Bailey | Design and Make
DesignAndMake.com