help needed with carving models

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

help needed with carving models

Post by martin54 »

OK so I have the wildlife scenes & have started by carving the pre assembled layouts that come included, the Duck, Elk & deep in the woods, ones were straight forward as they are contained in a frame so only need to be resized to fit the material to be cut. They are done & look pretty good, I am now having a problem with the deer scene but it is purely down to my lack of experience & knowing what the best way to proceed is.

The Deer scene is designed for a mantle so what would the process be from start to finish if using this particular model? I have actually carved the scene, found a narrow piece of wood with the bark still on at the top & bottom which I thought would look nice when finished, scaled the model to fit & went ahead & carved the 3d model but now I am a bit stuck & not sure what to do next, I have no idea what to do about the bit at the top where the model ends or the 3 or 4 bits that haven't been cut because they were outside of the vectors used to cut the model, there are a few bits between the trees & the clouds on the left hand side as you look at it. I did think it might be best to pocket the top but wasn't sure plus it would require a very small bit the way the top edge of the model twists & turns & guessing there would be quite a few bits missed altogether.

Hoping someone with more experience can give me some pointers on how to proceed with this type of job, the Pheasant scene is going to be much the same as the deer scene but haven't started that one yet.

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Re: help needed with carving models

Post by ElevationCreations »

If I understand your post correctly, it sounds like there is no border or boundary to pocket the carving into.

If I were to carve this into a live natural edge piece I would create a pocket or dish to place the models in.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Thanks for the reply, no there is no border with this pre assembled layout, did think about a pocket but wasn't sure if it would look right as the height of the top edge varies in height all the way along plus there are some very sharp curves that you would need a tiny endmill to fit into.
deer part2.jpg
deer part1.jpg

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Would have been nice to have some advice from an expert or someone at Vectric but as it didn't look like I was going to get any I went ahead & cut a pocket at the top to a depth equal to the depth of the model, it doesn't look to bad but I am not 100% happy with it, there are areas especially around the Deer antlers that don't look right probably because the tool was to big to fit, I used a 2mm ball nose which was the smallest bit I had with a long enough flute length to cut the pocket with a 6mm clearance bit. I did scale the model down a little so maybe I created the problem myself. Probably put this stuff away to one side for now & just carry on with other things that I have had more success with, maybe come back to it at some point in the future.