Exclude portion of model from toolpath

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

SwissArmyKnife
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD Pro Plus

Exclude portion of model from toolpath

Post by SwissArmyKnife »

Hi. I downloaded an STL file of a Beretta 92FS semi-automatic pistol and imported it into VCarve Pro. I am carving each side separately at roughly 33% of it's actual size. All aspects of the pistol cut in an acceptable manner except for the hammer and the lanyard loop. Each of these areas are, effectively, a cylindrical protrusion with a hole bored through the center. After the hole is bored, the cylinder walls are too thin and either break off or are subject to be easily broken off (depending on the type of wood). I would like to carve the cylindrical protrusion but not bore the hole.

Can I exclude a portion of a 3D model (these two holes) from the finishing toolpath? If not, how would I identify the lines of code in the TAP file and manually remove them (using NotePad++)?

Thank you.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Exclude portion of model from toolpath

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Draw a vector around the areas you don't want machined and choose "Selected Vectors" for the machining boundaries.
DrawVector3D.JPG
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop