Waterline - Feature Request

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

Normsthename

Waterline - Feature Request

Post by Normsthename »

I would like to see a 'Waterline' Feature where the finishing tool goes over all the outlines to clean up the model.
I am sure this would be very appreciated by users :)

Andy

AngelicDiablo
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot BT48 Standard

Post by AngelicDiablo »

Hi Andy. I know that's not a feature in the free Machinist program but it can easily be done once it is imported into VCP4 by running the profile toolpath around the outline of the relief. I do it quite often with an 1/8" EM to clean up the edges. -AD :twisted:
Buckle up... it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car! :-)

Normsthename

Post by Normsthename »

I know that's not a feature in the free Machinist program but it can easily be done once it is imported into VCP4 by running the profile toolpath around the outline of the relief. I do it quite often with an 1/8" EM to clean up the edges.
Thanks, I never thought of using Vcarve :oops:
How do you "run the profile toolpath around the outline of the relief"
Do you download the EPS file from VectorArt3d and use that?
If so, how do you exactly scale the EPS Outline to match the size of machined artwork?

Andy

AngelicDiablo
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot BT48 Standard

Post by AngelicDiablo »

Once you've imported it, just select. You know, when it turns blue or pink. Then go and select your 2D profile tool path and the tool you're going to use. Make sure your cut depth does not go any deeper than the depth of the 3D finishing toolpath. This will not work on the VA3D dished or the faux carved styles. -AD :twisted:
Buckle up... it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car! :-)

Normsthename

Post by Normsthename »

Thanks AngelicDiablo! :D
It works a treat, I did'nt know that you could add extra toolings after you imported it :oops:

Andy

gravirozo
Vectric Wizard

Re: Waterline - Feature Request

Post by gravirozo »

hi guyz

i have some simple solution for this....
i working on the 33948 ornamental border... i would like to use it as a nameplate frame...
i saved the cutout toolpath as the tool dia is 0.01mm... the result practically same like the contur... so this gcode with some wordpad editing, converted to an autocad scr file...and after this can be converted for dxf and available to use for further editing... like create the nameplate or just create a concave surface and so on.... of course that would be very confortible just for one click to get new and new functions.... but the machinist is a free proggy... so i'm very satisfied with it :-)