Router bits

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Router bits

Post by Bob Reda »

What is the difference between 4 flute and 2 flute ball end router bits in relation to carving? Which is better to use. Also, what is the difference between coated and not coated? I read through the sites and it doesn't explain what the differences are.

Thanks
Bob

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

Not certain about the technicalities, but I believe it relates to more flutes = better chip clearance. Regarding the coated or non-coated, I use both, and the coated are supposed to cut smoother with less burning because the coating is teflon, but I haven't really noticed any differances yet...

CRFultz
Vectric Wizard

Post by CRFultz »

In relationship to wood, the two flute would allow for a more agressive cut. A four flute would load up which in turn could burn.

At 20k rpm a bit has to cut the wood and get the chip away from the material so the next flute can do its job.
I have used four flute center cutting with a high helix to do pockets and it worked fine...but I prefer two or one flute for most wood.

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Post by Bob Reda »

Thanks Guys,

I just had ordered some 4 flute 1/8" and 1/4" ball nose end mills. I went with the preception that if 2 is good 4 would be better :roll: I'll let you know how they work out for me.

Bob

Markm
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Markm »

If you are running more flutes you can run your router at a slower rpm or cut at a higher speed. There are chip load formulas and test out your feeds and rpms to double check. A 2 flute 3/8 end mill I run at 18000 rpms on my machine where as the 3 flute I run at 13000. The 3 flute makes less noise because it is running slower so I use them alot.

Mark M

WillyInAus

Post by WillyInAus »

Markm wrote:If you are running more flutes you can run your router at a slower rpm or cut at a higher speed. There are chip load formulas and test out your feeds and rpms to double check. A 2 flute 3/8 end mill I run at 18000 rpms on my machine where as the 3 flute I run at 13000. The 3 flute makes less noise because it is running slower so I use them alot.

Mark M
Do you find much difference in the cut at slower speeds, noise is a real problem for me and cutting at 1300rpm would be good if I could.