Bit selection

Tips, tricks and questions about the free Design and Make 3D Machinist from https://store.designandmake.com/ - Design & Make projects

Moderator: Todd Bailey

walnutman

Bit selection

Post by walnutman »

Hello all,
Im new to 3-D carving and would like to get some general idea of what are the best choices for bits to use for my application. I am carving in hardwood mainly (Oak, Mahogany). What is a good choice for both the roughing and finishing bit to get the best possible quality result? I dont mind the time it takes, within reason. also, what should I set the various parameters for (step over, speed, etc). thanks in advance for any help

knight-toolworks
Vectric Apprentice

Post by knight-toolworks »

I have just been using standard 1/4" 2 flute carbide endmills and 1/8" long ball nose with the same features as the 1/4"
the 1/4" bit you can go pretty fast setpover at 50% and 2 to 300 ipm depending on your machine.
the 1/8 it depends on the stepover. the more the stepover the smoother but the slower to cut. 12% is a pretty smooth cut. I don't go over about 150 on the 1/8" depending on the depth.

Randy
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Randy »

Check out Gary's bits at

http://www.beckwithdecor.com/Cutters.html

They are designed for 3D carving. I just placed my second order with him.
Slowly I turned...
Randy

Thkoutsidthebox
Vectric Wizard

Post by Thkoutsidthebox »

The cutting speed depends on your table as much as on the bits your using. I use a ballnose for my roughing toolpaths aswell as the finishing toolpaths.

It depends upon the size of the actual carving as to the size of the bit used for roughing, the bigger the quicker, and better for me. Finishing toolpaths I usually use a 1/8" ballnose, but you need smaller if you carving is very small, and of course if your carving is measured in square metre's instead of inches, then you need bigger than a 1/8" for finishing or you'll be waiting weeks for it to finish! :)

When I'm carving hardwood I use a small stepover of about 7% because I prefer the work to be done as much as possible on the table, and less finish sanding. Also I slow the speed for hardwood as opposed to MDF, because obviously its harder! ;)

AngelicDiablo
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot BT48 Standard

Post by AngelicDiablo »

I second the motion to check out Gary's bits. They are made by Onsrud. There is even a 1/16" ballnose in the set that gives you very crisp detail on the smaller 3d carvings. -AD :twisted:
Buckle up... it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car! :-)